[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Lance Free lines?

  • From: "Liane Fossland" <lfossland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gsdman2@xxxxxxx" <Gsdman2@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:47:57 -0700

Tom, I am impressed! That is indeed a great post. It sets us back onto our
haunches and makes us do some thinking which is very much needed.
Not that there is anything wrong with it!
Lee

Liane Fossland
Home of Ch. Donar, Loni,CD, Auburn, Kara Mia and Windy
www.steppenwindgsd.com

EarthLink Revolves Around You.

I'm
> not at all surprised to see people become immediately defensive when they
see a
> question asking if Lance free lines exist.  Unfortunately, it's a
conditioned
> response.
> The obvious answer of course, is "Yes.  They sure do."  Many American
> breeders have chosen to work with import lines, and I suspect that some
of them are
> generations into their breedings by now.  The mistake often made is to
label
> their lines "import."  They're no more "import" now than ours are.  They
are
> however, "Lance free."
>
> There is a more interesting observation to be made though, one that is
> potentially a lot more controversial.  Someday, somewhere, someone will
breed a dog
> from "Lance free" lines that the fancy will be equally taken with.  He
will
> have something extra, perhaps even that same difficult to describe
"something
> extra" that Lance himself had.  When that dog becomes known, breeders
will flock
> to him in a phenomenal way that so far has been reserved for very few
past
> great German Shepherd dogs.  It will be another turning point in the
breed's
> history, very much like Lance was.  The dog may or may not be advertised
as
> "Lance free," but that will matter very little in the overall.  Some will
love the
> outcross idea.  Some will love the Lance free idea. Some will even breed
> the dog only because his progeny are winning and are hot sellers. Most
will just
> love the dog and what he produces.  A dog like that will surely be bred
> hundreds and hundreds of times.  Since his progeny will be exceptional,
they will
> be most often chosen for breeding once their sire is past his producing
days,
> and the same will hold true for the progeny's progeny.  Then ... someday
> ten ... twenty ... thirty years in the future, someone will look at the
breed's
> problems, trace the pedigrees, and blame all of those problems on that
one
> great dog only because his name is in almost all pedigrees.  But hey ...
Some of