[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Labs and GSDs

  • From: Hickoryhill <hickoryhillgsd1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx" <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 09:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

Years ago, when the dog de jour became the freakish over-angulated, overly
short coupled dog, the breed became the laughing stock of the dog
world. The public, who had always adored the GSD, sought dogs for their
families from working lines, the all-breed judges would not put them up
the veterinary community equated the over-angulation for HD and the GSD became
the poster child for Dysplasia, even though Labs, Goldens and most of the giant
breeds had higher incidences. Now, 4 decades later, the breeders of American
conformation GSD are STILL trying to do
damage control, unfortunately, it is too little too late. Because of our
arrogance, we believed that the public, the all-breed judges, the veterinary
community, the performace people..basically everyone who didn't agree with this
style of dog were "not educated about the standard" Our attitude
then and even now is much like the tale of the Emperor and his Clothes, but at
least at some point, he finally listened. Christine
On Mon, 3/31/14, Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Labs and GSDs
 To: "shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx" <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Monday, March 31, 2014, 11:04 AM

 As noted below in Sheree's post that
 our breed popularity has gone up however our conformation
 entries are going down is a fact we must face and try to
 understand and presents itself an opportunity that we should
 see how we can exploit for the good. I'm sure to explain
 this there are a number of facets, however i do agree that
 one facet that is important is if the procedure used by
 most judges in our speciality ring was an emphasis on Type,
 Tempermant and VERY IMPORTANTLY movement on a slow to
 moderate speed it would be more conducive to owner
 handling(i mean good owner handling) than what we have been
 used to for many many years of our dogs pulling out at the
 end of the lead.  Now ofcourse what comes with that are
 shows that are perhaps less "exciting" in the short run as
 we adjust,  but i think over time we will actually find
 dogs that are exciting at slow speed where both the front
 and rear open completely and the back is firm and handling
 dogs at
  a slow speed who still "perform" will be art into itself.
 Because at the end the German Shepherd was intended to
 do it's work at a "trot" and it is the efficiency and
 effectiveness of the "trot" we are supposed to be evaluating
 in it's "gait".

 As a side benefit, It will also keep "old handlers" like me
 employed for longer<G>.

 Bill