[ SHOWGSD-L ] Labs and GSDs

  • From: Sheree Moses <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 23:49:23 -0400

I started showing some Labs a few years ago for my veterinarian, who is a very
well known field/performance Labrador person, and a hunt test judge. She and
her partner have had many famous field dogs over the last few decades and also
show in conformation.   Next thing I knew I owned several, and had bred a few;
in fact, I was probably going to more shows for the Labs than for the
shepherds.A young bitch we bought ended up (during her second year of showing,
not one ad and I only went to about 40% of the available shows....she won at
both specialty and all breeds) #1 female and #4 all breeds.  I was an unknown
in the Labrador world, but she was a very nice bitch, somewhat more moderate, a
good mover and able to show in both arenas.  A few of the Labrador people were
very nice, told me I was doing a good job, and I should keep showing dogs:)  In
general I have found the Labrador community to be very supportive and
inclusive; absolutely ready to help a newcomer.  There is a definite difference
between some of the dogs shown at specialties and some of the dogs shown at all
breeds, just as in our breed, but many of them are moderate, and are capable of
winning in both venues (I have this silly idea that our shepherds should, too).
  I did find that it was a little more difficult to win at specialties than at
all breeds, but certainly not impossible.  I think a lot of the reason that
there are so many more successful owner handlers in Labradors is that the speed
is more moderate and much less emphasis is placed on "performance" and more on
the hallmarks of the breed, "head, coat, tail," and on balanced motion.
Perhaps an owner-handled exhibit won't win quite as often as the professional
handlers' dogs, but it is definitely possible, and keeps the owners coming
back.  Frequently the bred-by exhibitor class is the most competitive.Also,
while it would be very difficult to be competitive at a conformation show with
a true "field" Labrador, most of the dogs I have shown have gone on to achieve
hunt titles, and two of the dogs I finished have gotten their Master Hunter
titles.  I believe there have been fewer than 60 conformation champions who
have achieved this, but it is possible, and they are very "livable" dogs who
function well in a family environment.Labrador entries have fallen a little,
just as entries have dropped overall, but nothing like what has happened in our
breed.  Fifteen years ago, our point schedules were similar; now ours is less
than half what it takes in Labs.  Our individual breed popularity has gone up,
but apparently no one wants to show conformation dogs.  I am sure there are
many reasons for this, I happen to think a lot has to do with the way we
evaluate our dogs in the ring.  I think if we concentrate more on sound
temperament and structure, less on performance, and start judging at a
reasonable speed we will find more owners and novices back in the ring.Just a
few thoughts, I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons, but that's how it
seems to me.   Sheree

http://showgsd.org/mail.html