[ SHOWGSD-L ] LONG! Press Release on NAIS for TAHC Meeting in Austion on Feb. 16th

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:22:13 EST

Y'all are welcome to use this to fight  NAIS.=20
Randy Givens

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Feel free to send this to any  newspaper, TV, radio station, etc.
Feel free to copy, cross-post, or use this  as your own in order to stop the=
=20
NAIS.
Thanks
Randy Givens

Please  consider publishing this as a Letter to the Editor or Op-ed, or lead=
=20
for a  reporter to follow up.
I can back up everything I say with plenty of facts,  URL's, etc.
I have talked to TAHC staff, Legislative Staff, and USDA  staff.  There are=20
several web sites dedicated to stopping this program  (URL's at end of messa=
ge).
If you have any questions, I can be reached via my  cell phone at: (512)=20
825-7221, or my home phone at (512) 253-0263.
You have  my permission to print my name, town, and email address with this=20=
=20
article.
Thanks for your consideration of this issue.

Randy  Givens
aka COL George R. Givens, U.S. Army (Retired)
2162 FM2104 Unit  B
Paige, TX 78659
Thanks
Randy Givens
Paige, TX
cell: (512)  825-7221

TEXAS TO REQUIRE PET OWNERS TO REGISTER WITH  STATE

In a little-noticed move last year, the Texas  Animal Health Commission=20
(TAHC) got the Legislature to approve a measure  (HB1361) which is intended=20=
to=20
require ALL owners of ANY kind of bird (Parakeet,  Cockatiel, Parrot, Chicke=
n,=20
Goose, etc.), horse, cow, goat, sheep, pig, llama,  etc. to register the loc=
ation=20
where they keep the animal with the State.   Animal owners will be required=20
to register their homes, acreage, farms, or  ranches even if they own just O=
NE=20
of any of these animals.   That  ranges from Granny=E2=80=99s 20th floor con=
dominium,=20
where she keeps one parakeet, to  the family that has a couple of horses the=
y=20
like to take on trail rides.  =20

After an intial =E2=80=9Cfree=E2=80=9D period, everybody who owns one of the=
  targeted=20
animals will be required to have a =E2=80=9CPremises Registration Certificat=
e,=E2=80=9D  for as=20
long as they own the animal.  At first, the Premises Registration  cost will=
 =E2=80=9C
only=E2=80=9D be $20.00 every two years.  However, the price is sure to  ris=
e, as the=20
Legislature has mandated that TAHC generate income to cover the  =E2=80=9Cse=
rvices=E2=80=9D it=20
provides.  For instance, the Legislature cut TAHC=E2=80=99s budget by  $500,=
000 last=20
year.  In return, TAHC got the Legislature to allow it to  raise the price o=
f=20
some blank forms, used when kids (and others) take their  animals to Livesto=
ck=20
Shows.  Given the Legislative Green Light, TAHC  promptly increased the cost=
=20
of one blank form TWENTY times the previous cost,  from a quarter to $5.00.

IF the animal is born on the =E2=80=9Cpremises=E2=80=9D  and never leaves th=
e =E2=80=9Cpremises=E2=80=9D=20
for ANY reason, then the animal itself will not  have to be registered with=20=
the=20
State.  However, if the animal leaves the  registered premises, such as to g=
o=20
to the Veterinarian, a livestock show, a  trail ride, rodeo, or parade, then=
=20
the animal must be registered with a 15 digit  Animal Identification Number=20
(AIN).  Some animals may have ear tags, others  will probably be required to=
 have=20
Radio Frequency Identification Numbers (RFID)  computer chips inserted under=
=20
their skin.  Large producers of flocks of  birds or herds of sheep or pigs m=
ay=20
be able to manage those groups of animals  with just one AIN.  However, the=20
pet owner and small farmer or rancher will  probably have to have individual=
=20
numbers for each of their  animals.

The idea behind this animal identification system is  touted to be an abilit=
y=20
to =E2=80=9Ctrace back=E2=80=9D any diseased animal, and identify EVERY  ani=
mal it has ever=20
come in contact with =E2=80=93 within 48 hours of finding the  disease.  To=20=
do this=20
will require an enormous amount of record keeping and  reporting, which TAHC=
 has=20
grossly underestimated. =20

The cost  of all this bureaucratic registering of premises and animals, and=20
the required  record keeping and reporting, will be born entirely by the own=
ers=20
of the  animals.  This is already causing some animal owners to sell their =20
animals.  It will surely drive many small farmers and ranchers out of  busin=
ess=20
-- all for the gain of the giants of Agribusiness and their world  market=20
share.

The program behind all this was proposed by Globalist  Industrial=20
Agribusiness, to protect their ability to sell mass produced meat on  the wo=
rld market.  =20
Huge Agribusinesses lobbied the USDA to implement  the plan, which it did. =20=
=20
USDA touts the National Animal  Identification System (NAIS) as a =E2=80=9C
Government-Industry Partnership.=E2=80=9D  The  one important piece they lef=
t out was the=20
millions of private citizen who own  one or two animals, and the small farme=
r and=20
rancher.  To protect  Industrial Agriculture=E2=80=99s investments, the =E2=
=80=9CPartnership=E2=80=9D=20
decided to impose these  regulations, record-keeping, bureaucratic nonsense,=
 and=20
costs on millions of  people who are not involved in the Agriculture Industr=
y.

TAHC  soft-pedaled this monstrosity through the Legislature with neutral=20
terms, never  telling our elected representatives the true intent of the=20
legislation.   The Legislators went along with the story provided by TAHC, a=
nd=20
surrendered the  sovereignty of Texas to unelected bureaucrats at USDA.  HB1=
361 says=20
that  TAHC is to devise an animal identification system consistent with the=20
USDA  NAIS.    One "small" problem is that the USDA NAIS is a project  that=20=
has=20
still not been finalized.  Therefore, our legislators told TAHC to  do whate=
ver=20
the bureaucrats at USDA tell them to do.

The  Texas Legislature passed the law.  Now TAHC is in the process of =20
implementing the "rules" to impose this system on the citizens of  Texas.  =20=
TAHC=20
will hold a hearing, this Thursday, February 16th,  starting at 8:00 A.M., a=
t the=20
Red Lion Hotel, 6121 N. I-35 at Highway 290  Austin, TX 78752.  According to=
=20
TAHC, they =E2=80=9Cestimate=E2=80=9D that the agenda item  on NAIS will sta=
rt =E2=80=9Capproximately=20
at 10:00 AM.=E2=80=9D   This may be the last  chance you have to speak out a=
gainst=20
this unconstitutional invasion of our  privacy and property rights.   I=20
encourage everyone to come to the  meeting and speak out.  It is important t=
hat we all=20
contact our state and  federal Representatives and Senators and demand that=20
this program be  stopped.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D AUTHOR'S COMMENTS & CONTACT  INFORMATIO=
N:
Editor: I can back up everything I say with plenty of facts,  URL's, etc.
I have talked to TAHC staff, Legislative Staff, and USDA  staff.  There are=20
several web sites dedicated to stopping this  program.
If you have any questions, I can be reached via my cell phone at:  (512)=20
825-7221, or my home phone at (512) 253-0263.
You have my permission to  print my name, town, and email address with this=20
article.
Thanks for your  consideration of this issue.
Randy Givens
aka COL George R. Givens, U.S.  Army (Retired)
2162 FM2104 Unit B
Paige, TX 78659
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
SEE: =20
http://www.noanimalid.com/
http://www.stopanimalid.org/
http://www.unitedanimalownersalliance.com
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/   and  =20
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=3D1394   (scroll down for pro=
posals put to Texas Legislature and very=20
telling  comments)
http://www.newswithviews.com/Morrison/joyce23.htm
Henry  Lamb=E2=80=99s excellent article The Mark of the Beast

The entire text of the  rule proposal may be found at:  =20
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/texreg/sos/PROPOSED/4.AGRICULTURE.html

Fines  of up to $1,000 per day in Texas:=20
"Although the TAHC commissioners always  urge voluntary compliance with=20
agency regulations, the proposals include  penalties for noncompliance. =20
The Texas Agriculture Code (law) may be  found on the TAHC website at=20
http://www.tahc.state.tx.us, by selecting the  =E2=80=9CStatutes and Regulat=
ions=E2=80=9D link on=20
the front page."

National Animal  Identification website

Even USDA appears to question its ability to  impose this mandatory program.
See: =20
http://www.unitedanimalownersalliance.com/forums/index.php?act=3DST&f=3D5&t=
=3D63

Additional  NAIS information and links can be found on the TAHC web site  at=
:
http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_id/index.shtml

=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
MORE  DETAILS=20
The Real Deal: Tagging Terrorist Chickens=20
Wednesday, 9 November  2005, 3:55 pm
Opinion: Catherine Austin Fitts=20

A Special To Catherine  Austin Fitts' Mapping The Real Deal=20

The Latest Tyranny: Tagging  Terrorist Chickens

By Justin & Franklin Sanders
The Money  Changer
APPENDICES:
Hard Questions About The National Animal Id System  (NAIS)
National Animal Identification System (NAIS) - Fact Sheet=20
Have you  heard about the National Animal Identification System (NAIS)? The=20
radio ads  feature a =E2=80=9Cfarmer=E2=80=9D telling us how hard it is to m=
ake a living=20
farming today -  harder than it was for Momma and Daddy. Worse yet, now we=
=E2=80=99ve got=20
the risks of  all these new diseases. But - golly, golly, gee -- the governm=
ent=20
is going to  help. They=E2=80=99ve come up with a voluntary program to regis=
ter our=20
farms and animals  to protect us and our animals from diseases. All good=20
Americans will sign up. =20
Characteristically, the radio propaganda-speak beareth no likeness to the =20
truth. To prove that for yourself, visit www.usda.gov/nais and click on the=20=
 =E2=80=9C
Draft Strategic Plan=E2=80=9D on the upper right hand side.=20
FOOD SECURITY=20
We  all know that there is no pandemic or epidemic now sweeping through the=20=
=20
livestock population would demand such drastic measures. If so, government=
=E2=80=99s =20
first act wouldn=E2=80=99t be punching an ear tag into every chicken they co=
uld catch.=20
 Any eighteen-year-old mother who knows to hand testing a forehead for fever=
=20
can  tell you that tagging ears to fight disease is ridiculous. No, during=20
epidemics  government agents kill the infected animals and all animals in th=
e=20
herd. Then  they spread out and test neighbouring herds and destroy those th=
at=20
test  positive.=20
IF THEY=E2=80=99RE NOT FIGHTING DISEASE, THEN WHY NAIS?=20
Follow the  money. Ask, Cui bono? Who benefits?=20
Agribusiness lobbied the USDA to create  a system to protect them from legal=
=20
liability if an epidemic does break out.  More, NAIS would protect=20
agribusiness market share, forestalling a public  revulsion against their pr=
oduct by =E2=80=9C
confirming=E2=80=9D that only a few animals were  sick, rather than not thou=
sands. NAIS=20
enables huge agribusiness conglomerates  that concentrate thousands of anima=
ls=20
(and so concentrate the chance for  spreading diseases) to point their finge=
r=20
at someone else.  =20
Here=E2=80=99s the scenario:

People in Sheboygan get sick from  something they ate.

It=E2=80=99s determined the meat came from a local fast food  joint.

That fast food joint gets its meat from ABC cow  factory.

ABC cow factory buys cows from XYZ feedlots.

Those  feedlots had cows numbered 1q10 through 1q500 in their possession and=
=20
those cows  came from 15 small farms in suburban Tempe.=20

Goodbye 15 small farms in  suburban Tempe.=20

Hello scapegoat for fast food joint, slaughterhouse, and  feedlots.
To protect themselves these large corporations will effectively to  put smal=
l=20
farmers out of business. Not only the program costs (which fall on the =20
farmer), but also the threat of fines and jail time for not complying will d=
rive =20
small farmers off the land. At the same time, NAIS sets up the same=20
corporations  as the only entities granted the =E2=80=98privilege=E2=80=99 t=
o raise animals, since they,=20
of  course are the only ones who can be trusted to follow such a plan to=20
protect the  =E2=80=9Cnational herd.=E2=80=9D=20
EXEMPTIONS?=20
But I=E2=80=99ve just got a few chickens and a  horse. Not me, right?=20
Wrong. The NAIS plans provide no exemptions whatever.  One chicken, one=20
horse, one cow, one sheep, one goat, one bison, one llama, one  alpaca, one=20=
turkey,=20
one duck -- all must register, premises & animals. =20
GOODBYE PROPERTY RIGHTS=20
The NAIS abolishes private property rights in  farms and in animals. The=20
NAIS, run by a branch of the USDA, considers =E2=80=9Cyour=E2=80=9D  animals=
 to be not yours, but=20
part of =E2=80=9Cthe national herd.=E2=80=9D Plainly, they are  right. If th=
ey can force you=20
to register your farm and your animals, you do not  own them. They own them=20
because they control them. You are only inventorying  property & animals for=
=20
their true owner, the federal government. =20
MANDATORY MEANS MANDATORY=20
The NAIS=E2=80=99s schedule fixes January 2008 for  =E2=80=9Cmandatory=E2=
=80=9D enforcement.=20
Mandatory means =E2=80=9Cforced=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9Cenforcement=E2=80=9D m=
eans  =E2=80=9Cputting into force.=E2=80=9D Not of=20
your own free will. The government will fine you,  put you in jail, or seize=
 your=20
animals for raising animals without registering  them with the government --=
 =E2=80=9C
raising animals without a licence,=E2=80=9D I reckon  they=E2=80=99ll call i=
t. That=E2=80=99s right,=20
6,500 years of historical right will be  abolished. From now on, you=E2=80=
=99ll be=20
breaking the law for being a farmer without  government permission.=20
What=E2=80=99s more, =E2=80=9CThe Department does not plan to issue  =E2=80=
=98alerts=E2=80=99 to inform=20
livestock owners of the requirements until April 2007, only  eight months pr=
ior=20
to the date when it will be mandatory to submit the GPS  co-ordinates of one=
=E2=80=99s=20
home and the RFID of one=E2=80=99s animal[s] to the USDA  database.=E2=80=
=9D (Zanoni, 3)=20
MORE GOOD NEWS=20
Who will pay for NAIS? You will.  It does not favour the small farmer, but=20
corporations with huge budgets. These  conglomerates get to write off govern=
ment=20
registration fees, etc., but the write  off means almost nothing to small=20
farmers, who must first come up with the money  to comply. The NAIS is free=20=
now,=20
but will not be in the future. On their  website, the NAIS states, =E2=80=
=9CEven with=20
public funding, there will be costs to  producers.=E2=80=9D There=E2=80=99s=20=
a time tax, too.=20
States, tribes, producers, managers of  livestock shows and events, market=20
operators, processing plants, service  providers and third parties will all=20=
have=20
to provide labour for this system. =20
AND TAXES?=20
By registering with the NAIS you open yourself for future  taxes. By=20
registering your car, you pay taxes. By registering yourself as the  owner o=
f your=20
home, you pay taxes. By registering yourself with a social  security number,=
 you=20
pay taxes. Taxes for being a farmer and taxes on your  animals will come, to=
o.=20
THOSE FOR AND THOSE AGAINST=20
Tennessee (and  probably your state, too) is now implementing the voluntary=20
premises  identification section of this plan. In your state you=E2=80=99ll=20=
see the=20
Farm Bureau,  the cattlemen=E2=80=99s association, and the extension agents=20=
lining up.=20
With new  government programs comes new government money. They=E2=80=99ll pu=
sh NAIS=20
compliance by  holding out carrots of new money available only to those who=20
register.=20
CAN  WE DEFEAT NAIS?=20
You bet. There=E2=80=99s still hope we can defeat NAIS.=20
Dr. Mary  Zanoni, a lawyer from New York, has filed official comments with=20
the USDA Animal  Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) decrying the NAIS.=20=
She=20
has also founded  an organisation =E2=80=93 Farm for Life. In her brilliantl=
y argued=20
statement filed in  June 2005, she put this whole scheme in perspective.=20
=E2=80=9CThe security of  America=E2=80=99s food supply and the resilience o=
f livestock in=20
the face of diseases  are best served by decentralising and dispersing food=20
production and processing,  and breeding and maintaining livestock. If more=20
citizens could depend on food  raised and processed within, say, 100 miles o=
f their=20
homes, the danger of  large-scale disruptions would be minimised, the costs=20
of transport would be less  affected by volatile fuel prices, and any=20
food-borne diseases =E2=80=A6 would be  contained by the system=E2=80=99s na=
tural geographic limits.=20
Similarly, if animals, such  as cattle, for example, are kept in small herds=
=20
of, say, ten to a hundred  animals, infectious diseases will have much more=20
difficulty in spreading beyond  a discrete geographical area.=20
WHAT TO DO?=20
State cattlemen=E2=80=99s associations  may be backing this idea, but chance=
s are=20
their members won=E2=80=99t. Chances are, the  members have no idea what=E2=
=80=99s going on. How=20
many farmers -- not =E2=80=9Cagribusinessmen=E2=80=9D  -- have you ever met=20=
that would think=20
registering a chicken with the government  is a good idea? Talk to them.=20
Encourage them not to sign up their premises. =E2=80=9CThe  USDA is using fa=
rmers=E2=80=99=20
supposed willingness to enter a =E2=80=98voluntary=E2=80=99 program as a  ju=
stification for making=20
the program mandatory,=E2=80=9D says Zanoni.=20
This is the  old government game where a pitiful, haggard, selfless=20
government employee pleas  to the camera, =E2=80=9CLook, all these other far=
mers have signed up=20
on their own  because they=E2=80=99re good Americans and it=E2=80=99s just a=
 few renegades (=20
read the majority  of the population) holding out. If we=E2=80=99re gonna be=
 safe, we=E2=80=99
ve got to make this  mandatory because we just can=E2=80=99t talk sense to t=
hese=20
people who, after all, we=E2=80=99re  only trying to protect. It=E2=80=99s f=
or their own good=E2=80=9D=20

Write Dr. Mary  Zanoni at mlz@xxxxxxxx and support her efforts by signing up=
=20
for her $25/year  newsletter to keep you informed about this program and tho=
se=20
fighting it. =20

Contact your state veterinary office and complain.=20

Call your  state senators and representatives and tell them you oppose NAIS.=
=20

Write  a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.=20

Organise a public  meeting.=20
But first, educate yourself. Go to www.usda.gov/nais. Click on  =E2=80=9CDra=
ft=20
Strategic Plan=E2=80=9D on the right side of the page under the =E2=80=9CWha=
t=E2=80=99s New=E2=80=9D  heading and=20
read the 24 page implementation plan for yourself. (NOTE: A Summary  follows=
=20
in Appendix 2 below.)=20
-- Justin Sanders=20
*************
Justin  Sanders lives amongst the terrorist chickens, lambs, cows, and=20
proletarian pigs  on the Top of the World Farm He is raising three sons, non=
e of=20
whom yet has a  government-approved tag.=20
Justin & Franklin Sanders are farmers and  precious metals dealers with The=20
Moneychanger in West Point, Tennessee, USA.  They can be reached at=20
moneychanger@xxxxxxxxxxxx =20

APPENDICES

*****************=20
APPENDIX 1 - HARD  QUESTIONS=20
ABOUT THE NATIONAL ANIMAL ID SYSTEM (NAIS)
1. What is the NAIS?  A scheme hatched by the federal government and=20
corporate agribusiness to tag  every animal in the US with an identity numbe=
r and to=20
track every animal through  processing. The excuse for it is the discovery o=
f=20
two cases of mad cow disease  (BSE or bovine spongiform encephalopathy).=20
2. What does it require? It  requires every farm in the country to register=20
as a =E2=80=9Cpremises.=E2=80=9D Each registered  premises will then have to=
 register & tag=20
every alpaca, bison, cow, emu,  goat, horse, llama, sheep, swine, and all=20
poultry. (As far as we know right now,  catfish and goldfish are exempted.)=20=
It=20
provides no exemptions. If you have as  much as one chicken, you must regist=
er.=20
3. What does it mean? This is not  about controlling disease, it=E2=80=99s a=
bout=20
controlling farmers. When social security  was first introduced, the governm=
ent=20
promised the people that the number would  never be used for =E2=80=9Cidenti=
fication=20
purposes.=E2=80=9D But today you can=E2=80=99t get health  care, insurance,=20=
a bank account, an=20
apartment, a job, or your tooth pulled  without giving a social security=20
number.=20
4. Isn=E2=80=99t it voluntary? Only for  now. The present USDA =E2=80=9CDraf=
t Strategic Plan=E2=80=9D
 calls for making it mandatory by  January 2008. =E2=80=9CMandatory=E2=80=
=9D means that they=20
will fine, arrest, or jail you if you  refuse to comply. For the system to=20
work, the government obviously must force  every farm and every farmer to=20
register every animal, and no one will be able to  seek veterinary care, tra=
nsport,=20
sell, or process animals without registry. In  other words, the freedom to=20
farm that has belonged to mankind since Creation  will be abolished.=20
5. Who and what is behind the NAIS? According to the USDA  National Animal=20
Identification System (NAIS) Draft Strategic Plan 2005 to 2009,  page 3,=20
paragraph 1, at  http://animalagriculture.org/aboutNIAA/members/memberdirect=
ory.asp, =E2=80=9C
In 2002,  the National Institute of Animal Agriculture (NIAA) initiated=20
meetings that led  to the development of the U.S. Animal Identification Plan=
=20
(USAIP).=E2=80=9D =E2=80=9CDriving  force =E2=80=93 The strongest driving fo=
rce for developing the NAIS is=20
the risk of an  outbreak of a foreign animal disease (FAD). There is broad=20
support for NAIS  among government, industry, and public stakeholders.=E2=
=80=9D (=E2=80=9C
Stakeholders are defined  as those individuals and groups in the public and=20=
private=20
sectors who are  interested in and/or affected by the Department's activitie=
s=20
and decisions.=E2=80=9D  http://www.ci.doe.gov/cigapol.htm.)=20
6. Who is the National Institute of  Animal Agriculture? NIAA website states=
,=20
=E2=80=9CThe mission of the National Institute  for Animal Agriculture is to=
 provide=20
a forum for building consensus and  advancing solutions for animal agricultu=
re=20
and to provide continuing education  and communication linkages to animal=20
agriculture professionals.=E2=80=9D =20
http://animalagriculture.org/aboutNIAA/facts/factsheet.asp. In fact, the NIA=
A is  a national agribusiness organization whose=20
purpose appears to be lobbying  government for laws and policies that favour=
=20
agribusiness. A brief glance at the  board of directors seems to confirm tha=
t, since=20
all are drawn from agribusiness  companies, industry groups, or schools of=20
agriculture (which notoriously favour  corporate agribusiness over small far=
mers=20
and sustainable agriculture). =20
http://animalagriculture.org/aboutNIAA/leadersstaff/BOD.asp. A list of membe=
rs  leads to the same conclusion. =20
http://animalagriculture.org/aboutNIAA/members/memberdirectory.asp.=20
7. Who  will bear the burden of NAIS? Small farmers, and especially those=20
engaged in the  New Agriculture (=E2=80=9Cpermaculture=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=
=9Csustainable agriculture=E2=80=9D).=20
First, they will  be forced to pay for NAIS, at least in part. Second, they=20
will be forced to work  for NAIS. In the words of the NAIS Draft Strategic P=
lan,=20
page 14, paragraph 3,  =E2=80=9CAll groups will need to provide labour.=E2=
=80=9D NAIS will=20
add yet another cost  disadvantage to small farmers and the New Agriculture,=
=20
and will make local  agriculture less competitive with agribusiness. =20
http://animalagriculture.org/aboutNIAA/members/memberdirectory.asp.=20
8. Won=E2=80=99t  NAIS help prevent and control disease? No, NAIS isn=E2=80=
=99t about=20
preventing or  controlling disease, it=E2=80=99s about marketing. When a cas=
e of mad cow=20
disease (or  any other disease) surfaces, NAIS aims to protect meat producer=
s=E2=80=99=20
markets by  tracking animals through processing to =E2=80=9Cprove=E2=80=9D t=
hat only a few=20
animals are  affected and so prevent a public revulsion against their meat.=20=
The=20
most  effective way to control disease is to produce meat and milk for local=
=20
instead  of national markets and =E2=80=9Cclosed herd=E2=80=9D techniques.=20
***************** =20
National Animal Identification System (NAIS)
Fact Sheet
The National  Animal Identification System is being put into place =E2=80=
=9Cto enable=20
48 hour  traceback of the movements of any diseased or exposed animal.=E2=
=80=9D=20
The NAIS  consists of three components:

Premises registration

Animal  identification

Animal tracking
Those putting this into place do not  consider you the owner of your animals=
.=20
Their approach to this is =E2=80=9CWe must  ensure the participation require=
ments of=20
the NAIS not only provide the results  necessary to maintain the health of t=
he=20
national herd =E2=80=A6=20
The government is  already encouraging voluntary registration on the radio.=20
=E2=80=9CThe USDA=E2=80=A6will  enact regulations by early 2008, requiring s=
takeholders to=20
identify their  premises and animals. At that time, all animals leaving thei=
r=20
current premises  must be identified with the AIN or Group/Lot ID.=20
=E2=80=9C Even with public funding,  there will be costs to producers. Both=20=
public=20
and private funding will be  required for the NAIS to become fully operation=
al.=20
The Federal government is  providing the standards, national databases, and=20
basic infrastructure. =20

States and Tribes will register premises within their areas. They will  also=
=20
support the administration of animal identification and tracking systems  th=
at=20
will feed information into the national database.=20

Producers will  identify their animals and provide necessary records to the=20
databases. =20

Managers of shows and events will report a record of participating  animals.

Market operators and processing plants will provide animal  location records=
.=20

Service providers and third parties will assist by  providing animal=20
identification and movement records to the NAIS on behalf of  their producer=
 clients.=20

All groups will need to provide labour.=E2=80=9D
The  Timetable
2005:
=E2=80=A2 Premises registration: July 2005: All States  operational
=E2=80=A2 Animal identification: August 2005: Initiate =E2=80=9C840=E2=80=
=9D number with  AIN tag=20
manufacturers and AIN tag managers
=E2=80=A2 Animal tracking:  January-December 2005: Test identification and a=
utomated=20
data collection  technologies=20
2006:
=E2=80=A2 Premises Registration: April 2006: Performance  measure: 25% of al=
l=20
premises registered
=E2=80=A2 Animal identification: April 2006:  AIN Management System fully op=
erational
=E2=80=A2 Animal tracking:
- July 2006:  Interstate Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (ICVI)=20
operational in all  States
- Focus on integration of management systems to forward animal =20
locations/sightings=20
2007
=E2=80=A2 Premises registration: April 2007: Premises  registration =E2=80=
=9Calert=E2=80=9D (scaled=20
up communication campaign to create awareness of  January 2008 requirements=20
for premises registration).
=E2=80=A2 Animal  identification: April 2007: Animal identification alert (s=
caled up=20
communication  campaign to create awareness of January 2008 requirements for=
=20
animal  identification).=20
=E2=80=A2 Animal tracking:
- April 2007: Incentives to report  interstate movements using ICVI or=20
electronic movement permit system.
-  October 2007: Infrastructure established to collect animal termination=20
records  at high capacity abattoirs.
- Initiate collection of animal movements at  concentration points (markets,=
=20
feedlots, etc.).
- Expand the integration of  management systems to forward animal=20
locations/sightings.=20
NAIS Strategic  Plan - DRAFT Lines of Action=20
2008:
=E2=80=A2 Premises registration: January 2008:  All premises registered with=
=20
enforcement (regardless of livestock  movements).
=E2=80=A2 Animal Identification: January 2008: Animal identification  requir=
ed with=20
enforcement.
=E2=80=A2 Animal tracking:
- July 2008: Collect high  percentage of animal termination
records at abattoirs (processing  plants).
- July 2008: Collection and reporting all defined
movements. =20
2009:
- January 2009: Enforcement for the reporting of  animal
movements.
- NAIS fully implemented and all components are  mandatory.=20
Compiled from www.usda.gov/nais click on =E2=80=9CDraft Strategic Plan=E2=
=80=9D  on right=20
side of the page under =E2=80=9CWhat=E2=80=99s New=E2=80=9D  heading.

*************
Catherine Austin Fitts is the President  of Solari, Inc.=20
http://www.solari.com/. Ms. Fitts is the former Assistant  Secretary of Hous=
ing-Federal Housing=20
Commissioner during the first Bush  Administration, a former managing direct=
or=20
and member of the board of directors  of Dillon Read & Co. Inc. and Presiden=
t=20
of The Hamilton Securities Group,  Inc.=20
Ginger Cleary, Rome,  GA
"You should not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will =20
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do=20=
and =20
the harm it would cause if improperly administered." Lyndon Johnson, 36th =20
President of the U.S.
http://www.rihadin.com =20