[ SHOWGSD-L ] LHSH-Walmart Experience

  • From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:40:16 -0400

Well today was our first "begging" in public and it was fun.  Jodi Bobin,
Debbie Deangelo and myself set up at Walmart in Chippewa Twp. today.  Our first
experience with this type of fund raiser taught us a lot.  We were going to
have a chinese auction and sell a few things with a donation jar out.  Well,
people going to Walmart don't want to hang around and it was windy and looked
like rain so we took the stuff down and just stood with cans and the donations
started coming in :-)
This Walmart didn't allow us to bring a dog (some will) but a shopper had his
GSD with him and he brought him out for us to see and the kids and people had
to come over; they gave donations, petted a dog and the guy was in his glory
and was working the people too; thanking them for donations and stopping by -
LOL

We raised $126.98 in about 2-3 actual soliciting time once we figured out what
would work.  This was FUN believe it or not, we heard some happy stories of
dogs being rescued, saw some tears when some people talked of their GSDs that
were at the Bridge, and also were totally ignored by people!!  We are ready to
go on to the next Walmart.  We can set up 3 times a year at this Walmart but I
want to find a place to bring a dog.  Petsmart, Petco, etc. are on our list.

If anyone, or a regional club would like to do this for Last Hope, we would
really appreciate it.  I will be glad to guide you through it; there are some
rules :-)

Pat

Pat Lukos
SARAVA German Shepherds