[ SHOWGSD-L ] LHSH Rescue update!

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 05:09:28 -0700 (PDT)

This week has brought new challenges with it...namely how to stretch our budget
to accommodate the teeming numbers of GSDs who are in crisis nationally. We are
receiving more and more requests for help...
California is critical; dogs are being surrendered by the dozens. I had
recently done some research and found that many (not all!)  of these are
working lines dogs; former breeding animals who apparently have "lived out
their usefulness". Their reward for all they have given? To die in fear in a
kill facility. There were also 5 beautiful dogs who were part of an abuse case
in a southern shelter whose method of euthanizing was the dreaded IC
(heartstick..many shelters use no sedation!)  LHSH networked their need as much
as possible...I do not know if these dogs made it out. Please keep them in your
thoughts.

Odin has made it safely to Steve Reierstads home in Maine; full of tapeworms
and emaciated, they were pulling ticks off of him when he arrived. Odin is HW
negative!  This young boy is very deserving of a second chance, and we thank
Jill Lukasik and Steve for stepping up for him.

Jasmine thought she was in her forever home....however, the cats there had
different ideas and she is now headed back to Pat's. The family is devastated
as this young lady got along wonderfully with their 12 year old son and other
dogs her size. LHSH is keeping ALL our paws crossed for Jasmine that she finds
the home that works for her! If you know of anyone looking for a great
companion dog, PLEASE contact Pat Lukos! Jasmine is already spayed, HW
negative, and fully vaccinated!

Dixie's HW treatment will be on hold until her weight and general condition
improve. Shey, the GSD who was in horrendous condition in WVA has had her xrays
and medicated baths (275$ later).. Her temperament is phenomenal and she is
safe with a local Rescue and awaiting HER forever home.

Trace arrived at Angel Ridge Sanctuary after many weeks care in Georgia. He is
still somewhat disheveled, but VERY VERY adoptable and will make someone an
awesome companion. Poor Trace...he is just such a sight. We hope someone sees
beyond the abuse his body has taken and offers him the soft bed and comfort he
deserves. Trace is 2.

Eva, the GSD whose family was starving her because they thought she was fat
(she was PREGNANT and delivered 11 pups on New Years day) is still waiting for
her family in Georgia. She is safe in Rescue, but it has been awhile and she is
anxious to move on.
Eva is blind in one eye; perhaps a result of some abuse. When she arrived at
the shelter (owner turn in) she was covered in feces and mud; she had been
living like this for quite some time. LHSH assisted CPRescue with the finances
for the care of this family.

As I write this, there is a purebred Momma GSD and 10 puppies in a Missouri
pound. She had been stray in the neighborhood, when a good samaritan managed to
corner her in her garage. She delivered her babies before the ACO could arrive.
This little family is now 2 weeks old and facing euthanasia if no Rescue can
step up. LHSH funds are stretched beyond our capacity; however, we will do
whatever we can to help find safe haven for this Mother and babies.

As always, we continue to marvel at the continued support we receive from those
of you on this list. It has been steadfast, and we could NOT have accomplished
what we have without you! You are a part of something much greater than
yourself...a legacy that will continue on when our time here is at an end.

So, from Trace, Jasmine, Shey, Dixie, Odin, Eva and her babies, and the sad
stray Momma in Missouri who waits in patient silence for her hero....
Our deepest and abiding gratitude.
The Team from Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to:
Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx