[ SHOWGSD-L ] LA council meeting on dogs - thoughts

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:44:29 -0400

Forwarded with permission....
 ---------------- -----
 LA council meeting on dogs

Went to the LA council meeting. it was heavily infiltrated with
people wearing red, and some of them had doggie appliques on their
clothing. these were the DOG LOVERS who were in favour of removing
the organs of reproduction from our animals in the name of kindness.
these were the supporters of SPAY AND NEUTER EVERYTHING, not the anti
bulldog crowd at all. Although SOME of them spoke out against the
Jaws-of-Death- dogs, they simply had to.... they had the odor of TRUE
BELIEVERS about them. many got up to speak and had pictures of dogs
in death agonies being killed at shelters. Many said all back yard
breeders were shit, who were in it only for the money and had no love for
dogs. somebody laughed and said if dogs were becoming extinct,
she PERSONALLY would rescind the ban against breeding. Many lies were told
as if they were truth, all kinds of fake facts on how GOOD it is to spay
puppies at eight weeks of age, simply horrifying.

Eventually I asked myself, what am I ever DOING here? Will i be torn
to bits when I get up to speak?

and then i was called.

Now, the transcript will be published and to some extent will be more
accurate than this, although i noticed last time I spoke  the
transcript had pieces missing and errors, and this time i watched as
the transcript was being typed, and saw that there were ERRORS made
when the typist simply did not know a word or understand something.
but this is as good as I remember it:

I said, Hello, I am Hermine Stover, Secretary of Responsible Dog
Breeders Of the Western States, and I guess I am a MONSTER. in 40
years I have never owned a neutered dog. I have never had an
accidental breeding. No dog I ever bred has wound up in a shelter. It is in
my contract of sale that if the owner cannot keep the dog for
any reason, i must be given right of first refusal to buy the dog
back, and twice this has happened, when people got divorced and could not
keep their animals.
I said the requirements that a person be an exhibitor and belong to a breed
club are things I have no trouble meeting, but that it was a
horribly elitist view of what it takes to be a responsible dog owner.
and then i said something about how the mandatory chipping of dog was an
invasion of privacy.  and then I said something about how I
wondered where were the people who really did LOVE DOGS and not wish
to see them harmed by spaying and castrating them when both procedures-----
increase risk of bone cancer, bladder cancer,  prostate cancer,
depress the immune system,  and cause urinary incontinence, one of
the reasons people give up their dogs to shelters to begin with. I
said, you talk about how dogs who are not neutered get loose and sire
unwanted litters, but a dog does not open a locked gate in a fenced
area with his penis.

I spoke quickly and spontaneously, i had made some notes before hand
but by the time I got up there, very little by way of my notes mattered.

Now it i will be interesting to see how closely I come to the
official transcript.

I also said, Goebels once said, tell a very large lie and repeat it
often enough and it becomes the truth....
the whole atmosphere there was very anti breeder and humaniac-driven.
I got some cheers from a bunch of bulldoggers who were sitting in the very
back of the auditorium, clearly they were Mexican, and it is
amazing that I could tell this because...I have a hard time normally
recognizing such things, but the context of the audience placement
was SO CLEAR and segregated that even I could tell...and I went up to
them afterwards and gave them all the flyers with the American flag
and bulldog, and said, let me see your magazine. somebody had been
waving a magazine and saying, THIS GLORIFIES DOG FIGHTING! but the
magazine was just pictures of everyone's DOGS, some of them winning
at UKC shows and even being a bit FAT! not like fighting dogs at all, very
nicely kept "pretty" dogs...and they asked me if they could
photograph me and i said, SURE, but not today, i am feeling so
emotionally wiped out, but we exchanged contact information and had
some kind of group hug which felt very good because i was DRAINED. It  f elt
very good to be absorbed into this little tribal enclave of
fellow bulldoggers, like a kind of homecoming, a welcoming by
strangers who stopped being strangers in a FLASH.
and I reconnected with an Afghan Hound breeder from about 30 years
ago, she gave up her minute of speaking time to the local AKC rep who did
WONDERFULLY.  and had TWO WHOLE MINUTES!
there was another speaker, a gentleman who was both an attorney and a dog
owner, and he was very good at choreographing the liability a
government could face by enacting such legislation, he spoke calmly
and reasonably and without passion, very credible fellow.

So then the board of officials voted unanimously to rip the genitals
out of all dogs and have higher licensing fees for those few
fortunate and elite souls who could pass muster and qualify as being
the few breeders allowed to exist. they spoke with feeling about how
this day was a landmark moment in the history of civilization. they
congratulated themselves for the effluvium of humanity which
collectively, they exuded in bringing about this incredible KINDNESS
to a city fraught with the sadness of murdered unloved and unwanted dogs.

this was a grim day for me, i tell you.

However, as the law is being written, it is pretty unenforceable and
STUPID. it invites civil and other disobedience. It will accomplish
NOTHING, NOTHING good will come of it, not for dogs and certainly not
for people.

hermine

Hermine Stover
Secretary
Responsible Dog Owners Of The Western States
23280 Stephanie
Perris CA 92570
951 943 0990
fax 943 9199

>   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' ''Le Chat qui dort

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the
most oppressive. C.S.Lewis

www.rihadin.com

My Ebay site