[ SHOWGSD-L ] LA Pet Evacuation Bill

  • From: "Diane Roberts" <dianeroberts.gsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:56:54 -0500

Please pass this on to everyone you know in LA.  I do not normally post but
now it is twice in 1 day.

This is the link for the whole bill.  Please read it and contact your
Senators and House Representative with the letter below or use your own
letter and send it as the hearing is coming up soon.  The letter is not mine
but was forwarded to me from 2 GSD rescues in La. Lets help them fix the
disaster that went on last year with Hurricane Katrina so people never loose
their pets again.

For some reason I can not get the website address to copy and open but copy
it and put it in and it will go to it.

http://senate.legis.state.la.us/

go to FIND A BILL,  then enter SB 607 to get to the whole bill.

Diane Roberts

Majestic German Shepherds

Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue

www.tampabaygsdrescue.org <http://www.tampabaygsdrescue.org/>

American German Shepherd Rescue Assoc, Inc

www.agsra.com <http://www.agsra.com/>

11904 Mc Mullen Loop

Riverview,  FL 33569

Phone & Fax 813-671-2913

This is regarding the need for LOCAL support for the Pet Evacuation Bill in
Louisiana and the need for people to come to the hearing on April 18th.

We are getting alot of support from people in other states which is great
but the
support from Louisiana residents is poorly lacking.

PLEASE contact everyone you know in Louisiana and pass this message along.

We need Louisiana residents to email and/or write to Senator Fontenot at the
following email address and either of the physical addresses:

fontenoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Capitol Office
P.O. Box 94183
Baton Rouge, LA 70804
(225) 342-2040
District Office
P.O. Box 1238
Livingston, LA 70754
(225) 686-0108

 and your local Senators who can be found here:
http://senate.legis.state.la.us/senators/
 and the members of the House Representatives which can be found here:
http://house.louisiana.gov/H-Reps/printcontactinfo.asp

Here is a sample letter:

Dear Senator____________,

In a single week last September, rescuers airlifted thousands of New Orleans

residents stranded in flooded homes. Among them, Denise Okojo clung to her
Labrador retriever in the shadows of their swamped apartment. When a rescue
team arrived, Okojo was ordered to leave Molly, her seeing-eye service dog,
behind. The blind woman said goodbye to her "eyes" and sole companion.

A disaster preparedness plan without provisions for animals is a bad plan.
In America, animals live in over half of all households. Cats inhabit 3 of
every 10 homes, according to Humane Society of the U.S. figures. In New
Orleans alone, 50,000 to 70,000 dogs were pre-Katrina family members.

Yet Louisiana disaster victims were forced to choose between survival and
their pets. Unforgivable images are etched into our nation's conscience: A
white dog is ripped from a boy's arms as he boards a bus. A bewildered
yellow Lab watches his family disappear in a helicopter. An elderly woman
cannot receive medical care unless she deserts her cats. A man swims and
walks for miles with his dog, only to learn he must abandon his loyal
friend.

An emergency plan with no animal component is out of touch with
constituents. In fact, Katrina "stragglers" cited pets as the foremost
reason for staying in flooded areas. The human death toll might have been
lower if a strategy to accommodate animals had been in place.

You have the opportunity to ensure this never happens again. I respectfully
ask for your full support of Senator Fontenot's Senate Bill No. 607 (SB-607)

Pet Evacuation Bill. SB-607 requires state and parish homeland security and
emergency preparedness agencies "to consult with experts in the fields of
animal sheltering, veterinary medicine, public health and safety, and other
professional and technical personnel deemed appropriate to formulate
emergency operation plans for the humane evacuation, transport, and
temporary sheltering of service animals and household pets in times of
emergency or disaster."

Long after the last humans had evacuated, thousands of emaciated and
dehydrated pets roamed empty New Orleans parishes. Seven months beyond the
storm, animal advocates continue to rescue and rehabilitate displaced pets.
Please stand behind SB-607, which instructs government to consult with
animal welfare organizations to fully implement protocols on rescue/shelter
of animals during a disaster. I am counting on you to support the critical
Pet Evacuation Bill.

Thank you,