[ SHOWGSD-L ] L.A. Horses/ stealth by AR's?

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:13:20 EST

For the complete copy of Margaret Cleeks great article, either go to the
links at the bottom of the forwarded post, or I will be glad to send it
privately....It's quite long.......
STormy
Fresh on the heels of their victory in Los Angeles, AR extremists have begun
the ground work on horses (see page 11 on
http://lacity.org/clk/councilagendas/clkcouncilagendas350776_02192008.pdf )
They want to establish a "Horse
Advisory Task Force" to address, but not be limited to, the issues of manure
disposal and horse registration.  Sounds innocent enough?  This is exactly
what
Margaret Cleek described in her article.  It will be Item No. 11, File #
07-4097
at the L.A. City Council meeting tomorrow (Tuesday Feb. 19, 10am).  The
mandatory spay/neuter/microchip of all dogs and cats ordinance also began with
as a
"Task Force"!  If you own horses or have friends who do, please warn them and
encourage them to join our fight to protect the survival of domestic animals.
Tell them now is the time to object - attend the City Council meeting tomorrow
and publicly object to the formation of a "Task Force" with a "blank check"
mission.
Also:

You can listen to Nathan Winograd talk about No Kill on Animal Wise Radio
every Sunday morning on KDWA AM 1460 in Minneapolis.  But you don't have to
live
in the Twin Cities to listen.  Nationally, you can also download the program
as a podcast on iTunes or directly from the website at <
http://www.animalwiseradio.com/>.

**************************
Snake in the Grass
 by Margaret Anne Cleek, Ph.D.
Originally written for the newsletter of the Alaskan Malamute Club of America
(AMCA)
 "Better the dragon you see than a thousand snakes in the grass." This
Chinese Proverb should be recognized and heeded by pet owners and fanciers.
 Currently anyone who breeds animals is the target of animal rights activists
who wish to abolish the purpose breeding of pets, and in some cases pet
ownership in general. While we are made aware of federal and state legislation
threatening our ownership of our animals, for example PAWs and the Animal
Welfare
Act at the federal level and CAâ??s AB 1634, mandatory S/N bill, and
broad-based
opposition is launched, I believe that the greatest threat is from local
legislation enacted as quietly as possible.
<.........clipped..................................>
 It is my belief that the greatest threat to the ownership of pets lies in
the stealth enactment of these ordinances in our communities. And this is not
just happening in California, the land of fruits and nuts. Hendersonville, NC,
Palm Beach, FL, Little Rock, AR, San Antonio, TX, Albuquerque, NM are some of
the communities considering or enacting extreme AC ordinances.

 About the Author
Margaret Anne Cleek Ph.D. is by training an Industrial/Organizational
Psychologist and is currently a Full Professor of Management at California
State
University, Sacramento. She has written articles and guest lectured on issues
of
pet overpopulation since the early 1990s. She feels her articles, written in
the early 1990â??s for â??Animal Peopleâ??, the leading animal interest
publication
in the world, indicate how little those who blame hobby breeders rather than
rationally deal with the issues of animals in shelters have evolved in fifteen
years. She considers this new wave of coercive legislation an example of
escalation of commitment to a proven failed strategy on the part of Animal
Rights
groupsâ??unless the true agenda is elimination of purpose-bred pets and not
reducing shelter intake and the euthanizing of adoptable pets. Anyone wishing
review these articles can find them at the following sites:
      "We can learn from Detroit" -
http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/learndetroit.html
     "Donâ??t call me a Pimp" -
http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/dontcallme.html
 Margaret has volunteered at shelters, served on the board of an SPCA, and is
a long time member of the Alaskan Malamute Club of America, having done
rescue, showed in obedience and conformation, and carrying on a limited
breeding
program of Alaskan Malamutes. She is currently AMCAâ??s legislative liaison.

(http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827
?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)