[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: L.A. County Transcript of the DoneDeal BOS Animal Contr...

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Stormy435@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:10:18 EDT

http://lacounty.info/BOS/SOP/TRANSCRIPTS/04-18-06%20Board%20Meeting%20%20Tran
> cript%20(C).pdf

OK, I disagree w/ (Cesar's) part about one bitch in heat disrupting a  whole
neighborhood and about aggression problems (living w/ a bunch of males as  I
do), but I guess taking the public as a whole and perhaps when you only see
problems all day long...hmmm...and I've run into some pretty stupid notions  re
dogs lately...

I took the time to read all of it and the good news is that there is a
recommendation that if you belong to  breed club you're exempt from the 4
month
rule.  Bad news that you can be denied an unaltered pet license on  the basis
of
one neighbor complaint.  Hmmmm...it also seems that many of  the folks for
the legislation are worried re taxes not being paid (by breeders)  on pet
sales.
 I'd like to meet the breeder who actually makes a profit and  shake their
hand, lol.  Not that you can't sell a puppy for a profit, but  if "they" ever
saw what goes out on food, supplies, fencing, vet stuff they'd  send men in
white coats.

This one deserves watching.

The intent (lowering the number of dogs/cats PTS in shelters) is obviously
good.  Not sure how it'll work tho...(more) low or no cost spay and neuter
clinics would be good.  Would I be willing to buy a permit to breed a  litter
or
pay a higher licensing fee if I knew that's where the money  went...maybe.
Does the micro chip requirement bother me...no.  $10  for a chip; I do it
anyway.  All for it, really.  Obviously, I like  because it satisfies the AKC's
permanent ID requirement, OFA perm ID etc.,  and I keep reading stats re how
many
pets reunited yada yada, but if you had  problem areas in a city it'd be nice
to know whose dog did what and use that as  a starting point for
accountability.

From a supply and demand standpoint, it would be REALLY interesting to see
IF, by knocking out backyard breeders, the demand for puppies from reputable
hobby breeders increases (however you define the two).  We don't have a
problem selling puppies locally, but it's not uncommon to read the list and see

that isn't true everywhere.

Thanks for the link Stormy. It's thought provoking and worth watching since
I'm sure our federation will face some of the very same issues.  I think  this
will be the trend instead of BSL legislation, which has largely been
unsuccessful. Good luck to you folks who are active in that area in modifying
some
of the provisions.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_