[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kudos to Barb Williams

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:29:06 EST

In a message dated 12/23/2004 11:51:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I find that too many people are breeding their dogs for the next big
> winner--dogs are being bred with no hip or elbow certification, spooks are
> being
> bred, animals are being used that have already produced toxic gut, torsion,
> bloat, pancreatic problems, the list goes on and on.
> You're right when you say that there is no "magic" which would identify a
> problem.
===================================================Penny I think you will
find that though the breeders you mention above do exist most breeders are
conscientious and do breed to improve the breed. The problem is not to
sacrifice
breed type and quality in the process. Years ago when we first realized and
identified the problem with hips Marie leary [Cosalta Kennels fame] who is one
of
the old-time greats in our breed went through her kennel and every dog who did
not have perfect hips was eliminated from her breeding program. In a very few
years she reduced the hip problem in her kennel dramatically. But she had a
kennel full of pets. She herself said if she had addressed the problem in a
different way that might not have happened. As Tom L. stated there are people
who
want to lay the blame at a the feet of a few dogs one in particular Axel V D
Deining Hausenheide. If one could go back in time and eliminate Axel 98% or
more of the quality dogs in this country would disappear. And a large part of
the
German quality dogs would also disappear. You do the best you can there is no
formula breeding is an art form. You must love the breed to be a successful
breeder over a long period of time. people who love something don't hurt it on
purpose. Take heart our breed will go on forever.
                                                        Fred Migliore