[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kobe's National

  • From: Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 15:51:30 +0000 (UTC)

I certainly would hate to think that anyone is evil enough to poison a dog.

Here is a true story:

I was showing a very sound bitch who had done some nice winning as a puppy and
in the 12-18.  She loved showing.  Her temperament was stellar.

At a large outdoor specialty (baseball field) she was awarded WB and
finished.  When I took her back in for Breed she started to act very
strange.  Wild eyed, panting, anxious.  Temperature was high. Gums warm. Her
owner and I both thought bee sting, allergic reaction, drugs or poison. The
judge was kind enough to let me stay under the tent with her. Rushed her to the
vet- She came around to normal after many hours and her temperature dropped
back down.

About a month later, the owner brought her to a horse park to do some photos
with other dog friends. Just a casual get together.  Suddenly, she again had
the same signs/symptoms.  Rushed to a vet again.

No conclusion could be made.  The only thing the vets could figure was perhaps
fertilizer on the ground or some reaction from something on the grass.  She
only had this reaction these two times.

I share this to maybe shed light on possibilities.  Perhaps the sod was
sprayed the night before and Kobe had an allergic reaction.  Was he showing
signs prior to judging?  If someone gave him something while in the van the
night before; surely this would have shown up prior to his entering the
ring/judging Saturday afternoon.

Again, I sure hope no one is low enough to poison or drug a dog.  In the same
venue, we cant jump to conclusions and perhaps my experience will shed light.