[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Know when to hold them; know when to fold them....

  • From: Christina Klahn <ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 13:19:32 -0700 (PDT)

I totally agree.  My newbie opinion, for what it's worth.  I think it just
depends on the dog, but you should take everyone's opinion into consideration.
Although it ultimately depends on what you want to do, where you want to be and
how much you want to spend.  Like anything else, only you can make that
decision.

  My foundation bitch (first show dog) has won her class all but 2 times she's
been entered, not including the day my handler pulled her.  She also took Best
Puppy in a specialty show her first time out.  However, she has yet to win any
points.
I keep being told she'll be a knock out once she matures.  18 months and
counting...  Although I admit, if it weren't for her winning her class, I might
be questioning her career.

  My two cents,
  Tina
  Illusion GSDs
  Msg: #11 in digest
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sheila Lieberman
Subject: Re: Know when to hold them; know when to fold them....

What a relative question. If my dogs does not win classes and handlers don't
want to show my dog and judges tell me he/she has lovely pigment, I might be
smart enough to take the hint and look again.

If my dog is entered in shows that don't make majors, or my dog gets several
Reserves at majors and my handler says take the dog home for a few months, but
send the dog back for shows later, I probably will.

If I show my dog to people and they say ask a judge over and over or ask a
handler over and over, maybe they are trying to be polite and not tell me that
my dog does not have a chance in %%%.

If people who see my dog tell me that my dog ought to finish, I gotta consider
making ht effort no matter what that means.

We have to be willing to ask other people what they think. We also have to be
willing to consider what they tell us.

I was told over and over that my bitch needed more rear. I still don't really
agree, but that goes to my interpretation of the standard. What people want to
see and what wins has more rear than my bitch. She may yet finish in the all
breeds, and she may not. But I bred for more rear, and to maintain her front
which I do feel is one of the best. MHO of my own dog. But I bought her, so I
had to select her.

So if I make it to St Louis, tell me what you think of the pups who will be
with me as much as possible. sheila

Barbara Galasso wrote:
Know when to hold them: For what length of time would you show a dog
that you are campaigning towards it's championship? 10 shows? 50
shows? What is your limit before you...............Know when to fold
them: When do you decide that the dog will no longer be shown? Do you
believe that every dog that is shown should finish no matter
what.........to help the stud dog owner get his dogs ROM? The brood
bitch her ROM? Is the title of CH in front of your dogs name so
important to merit showing it all over the country and changing handlers
4-5 times? How much money should it cost to finish a dogs
championship? Where do you draw the line? He/she might be good, but is
it really good enough? Curious me, Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com