[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Know when to hold them; know when to fold them....

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 08:01:52 -0700 (PDT)

I really don't think there is any right or wrong answer to this question.  It
is strictly up to the individual owner and the individual dog.

  If you only have one "show" dog, you may continue to show him long after
larger kennels would give up on him and move on to their next prospect.  I know
breeders that will put a dog in 4 or 5 shows and if it doesn't do anything they
sell it as a pet.  These individuals are blessed with the knowledge of entering
under correct judges, using top handlers and showing the dog in the best
possible condition because ultimately their goal is to win. They are not going
to waste time and money entering a dog that in the best of circumstances, still
loses.

  On the other hand for someone that just enjoys going to the shows and having
a dog entered, they might show that dog for years picking up a point here and
there to keep them motivated.  That is not to say that the dog is not a quality
dog, but rather the owner may choose to show the dog themselves, or enters
under the wrong judges.  The dog may be shown out of coat and not in the best
condition.  As long as the owner is willing to sink time and money into the dog
and as long as they are not racking up endless amounts of single points, that
really is their choice.

  Finally, on a personal note, I have a two year old male that got a major in
his very first show at 6 months of age.    I showed him only sparingly over the
next several months and as he grew, he developed a couple of faults that I
don't want in my breeding program.  So as far as I'm concerned his career is
over and I'm looking to place him as a pet.  Did I end his show career early?
Maybe. but I have to ask myself, why should I bother.

  Cindy

Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Know when to hold them: For what length of time would you show a dog
that you are campaigning towards it's championship? 10 shows? 50
shows? What is your limit before you...............Know when to fold
them: When do you decide that the dog will no longer be shown? Do you
believe that every dog that is shown should finish no matter
what.........to help the stud dog owner get his dogs ROM? The brood
bitch her ROM? Is the title of CH in front of your dogs name so
important to merit showing it all over the country and changing handlers
4-5 times? How much money should it cost to finish a dogs
championship? Where do you draw the line? He/she might be good, but is
it really good enough? Curious me, Barbara

--
Barbara J. Galasso
CHIEFTAINS GERMAN SHEPHERDS

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original