[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kinda stumped for an answer

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-l'" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 14:32:44 -0500

Littermate medium sized rescues were the only 2 dogs mentioned/known in
this situation of thoughts that it's what you feed your dog that gives
longevity
Well, I doubt that has so much to do with the longevity as what "else" was
done thru those years with and/or for those 2.  Bloat, in my humble opinion,
is partly genetic as I was very careful of the bloodlines I combined through
my years of breeding.  I NEVER had a case of BLOAT!  However, that
doesn't mean it is ALL in the genes.  Something I felt was very important
was timing and amounts and the actual atmosphere during feeding.  I had
a lot of experience with horses as well.  Bloat and/or torsion or colic is
been bad for them, and not just a specific breed or size either.  It, as I
feel,
is the entire atmosphere.  I've had several GSDs and now my poodle live to
14 plus.  Just my experiences and thoughts, as Barbara has asked about this.
All the many years Purina has been making feeds, they've done well with it.
However, different ingredients are included in different products they have.
This, in and of itself, shows us, we need to find the right kind for our way
of
doing things with our particular dogs.   Having boarded many "critters" for
so long, I had to do all kinds of stuff to be sure these kids didn't lose
their
appetite while at my home away from theirs.  It was fun because many of
them actually, (Owners were surprised) that the animal preferred ME.
You just never know until you actually study this stuff and know what is
the best solution for each indicial situation.   Norma no L