[ SHOWGSD-L ] Kind of ties in......sort of???

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:53:58 -0400

.........about our discussion of breeding to a dog who himself is
gorgeous, but doesn't necessarily have the pedigree to explain why he
is.   I remember being quite impressed with some of the stud dogs that I
seen on the stud dog auction web site a short while back.  Some of these
dogs I was familiar with and then many I never seen or heard of before.
Why is that?  Where are these dogs hiding?  There are some nice males
out there that are not even being used for stud.  It's because we don't
know about them.  I'm sure there are many, many more that we didn't see
on the auction list that are just as nice.  Are we missing a chance to
utilize a good dog in our pedigree because the owner couldn't afford to
advertise him?  There are many lists available where these stud dogs can
be advertised for free with their pictures.  We all can't afford to
advertise in the Review like some of us did years ago, but there is
certainly many other ways of letting breeders see whats available.  It
seems only those with the most money can afford to advertise a stud dog
the way he should be and that's a shame.  These are the dogs that are
being used over and over again and it over loads the gene pool with the
same blood lines year after year.  I'm sure there are many other
excellent males that we don't see that could be a good influence for our
breed, but they don't have rich owners.  Breeders should have many
choices when breeding their good quality bitches.  So many times, my
friends say to me they don't know who to breed their bitches to.
"There's nothing out there, they say."   I believe there is.........we
just don't know about them.  If you look at the futurity/maturity
winners, then look at the back of the Review in the show win
section.......same stud dogs producing all the top winners.  Is he any
better than "Mary Jo's" dog who lives over yonder who is just as nice
and well bred?  Not necessarily.  He's just afforded more opportunities
to do so because his owners had the means to see it happen.  So what I
would like to see happen (and this is just my feeling), the rest of you
stud dog owners (and that's a lot of you) need to show the rest of us
what you got.  Also..........don't give up because at first you may have
not got the attention and interest you wanted for your guy.  Marketing,
marketing and more marketing means advertising, advertising and more
advertising.  It's free.  It doesn't cost you a dime and maybe......just
maybe......we'll see some new blood in the gene pool.  Just don't give
up because no one is breaking your door down to breed to your boy at
first.  If he's a good one, breeders will recognize it.  They just have
to be made aware that he exists!  As always, JMHO    Barbara