[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kennel run ideas

  • From: Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 14:12:16 EDT

We have the same problem during the winter rains , which were record
breakers this year.
We put down weed paper, then about 3 inches of crushed stone, then the 1"
rubber horse mats that weigh about 100# a piece.  Outside the runs we did  the
weed paper with the crushed rock and railroad ties to contain the  rock.  It
works like a charm.
Moisture in the runs (which are sloped enough to encourage drainage) goes
out the run into the crushed rock, and disappears. If it is urine, a  quick
spray of bleach cures any odor issues.  We do put a tiny  amt of shavings on
the
rubber mats to control the "splash factor" for  the dogs. But instead of using
a 12 c f bag per run we use a 12 cf bag of  shavings for 4 runs....The initial
investment of the rock and mats is a bit  high, but in the longrun it is a
Godsend.
Kathy Gray
Finest in American Show & German Importing
WEBSITE  UPDATED: MAY 1, 2005
_Victory German  Shepherds_ (http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/index.htm)