[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kennel run ideas

  • From: Susan Madlung <stormygsd@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jolingsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, GermanShepherd4showlist <Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 07:58:58 -0700

we have concrete and wood.. my favorite runs are the 2 where 1/2 is wood
decking - up off the ground, and the other 1/2 sidewalk blocks with shavings
used as an absorbent..we have had the wood for at least 8 years and have not
had to replace any , except where Hunter thought it might make a tasty
meal!! We just used untreated, scrap 2 x 4s, and these have been pressure
washed, disinfected, slept on, jumped on, run around on the whole time..I
could have this in my house and be happy..<g> it still looks great..
Since we live north of the Pacific North West, all our runs are completely
covered, so slippery is a non-issue. The dogs do their business in the
shavings, never on the wood, even in winter the wood is dry and warm to lay
on..
I have used gravel as well over the years, and this, (wood and blocks)to me
is the best solution by far..
Sue Madlung - Shadowacre Reg'd German Shepherds
http://www.shadowacre.com/jackson.htm
** UPDATED APRIL 24/05***