[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Keeping GSD's Together

  • From: RFWFORGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ricknaudra@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 14:09:59 EST

We have learned that it's possible to run two or three males together, but
NEVER two or more bitches.

As GSDs are pack animals they have their pecking order.  It seems that  males
will take a vote and live with the decision from then on.  It seems  that
females want to re-vote every day.

We used to keep Gotti and Chance (brothers) and their father (Tru Spirit)
together, in the yard and house. Never a problem.  Tru Spirit aka Grits was
the
 boss, no question.

At the present time, for safety's sake, we will only run a male and female
together, not two of any sex.

Dick Whalen
Jericho German Shepherds
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In a message dated 2/9/2007 10:00:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Helen  Franklin wrote:

Anyone who keeps two of the same sex together in our  breed...is inviting a
tragedy.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe  next year, but one day it
will
happen.  Knowing this, live with it,  when it does!  You've been advised!
Helen
Helen,

Thank you  for posting this reminder.  I wish people wouldn't blow it off
just  because they haven't experienced a tragedy (YET).  I left an older bitch
and a 4 mo puppy loose in the yard unsupervised for 10 min several years ago
while I ran to the store.  I thought it would be all right because they  had
spent a lot of time in the house and yard together and seemed like the  best of
friends.  I had kept 3 bitches loose in the house and yard  together for years
before that with no problems.  When I got home, my new  show prospect puppy
was lying motionless on the ground. with her throat torn  out.  She was not
dead yet, and I rushed her to the vet.  There was  nothing they could do.  I
lost
my beautiful puppy and had the older bitch  put down.  Now I have a brood
bitch and her year old bitch puppy.   While they have been together since the
puppy's birth, and run in the house  and yard together when I am close by and
my
eyes are 110% on them, they are  kenneled separately when I am not wa
tching.  Writing, and  remembering, this makes me want to throw up.  But I
hope this example  will result in your being taken more seriously in this
matter.

Zoa

Dr. Zoa  Rockenstein
RiverRock