[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Keeping GSD's Together

  • From: "Rockenstein, Zoa L. " <zlrockenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ricknaudra@xxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:58:31 -0600

Helen Franklin wrote:

Anyone who keeps two of the same sex together in our breed...is inviting a
tragedy.  Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe next year, but one day it will
happen.  Knowing this, live with it, when it does!  You've been advised!
Helen
Helen,

Thank you for posting this reminder.  I wish people wouldn't blow it off just
because they haven't experienced a tragedy (YET).  I left an older bitch and a
4 mo puppy loose in the yard unsupervised for 10 min several years ago while I
ran to the store.  I thought it would be all right because they had spent a lot
of time in the house and yard together and seemed like the best of friends.  I
had kept 3 bitches loose in the house and yard together for years before that
with no problems.  When I got home, my new show prospect puppy was lying
motionless on the ground. with her throat torn out.  She was not dead yet, and
I rushed her to the vet.  There was nothing they could do.  I lost my beautiful
puppy and had the older bitch put down.  Now I have a brood bitch and her year
old bitch puppy.  While they have been together since the puppy's birth, and
run in the house and yard together when I am close by and my eyes are 110% on
them, they are kenneled separately when I am not watching.  Writing, and
remembering, this makes me want to throw up.  But I hope this example will
result in your being taken more seriously in this matter.

Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
RiverRock