[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Karen C's question

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:06:58 GMT

The white coated GSD has the same health issues, no more, no less, than GSDs of
any color.  Don't forget, the WGSD's coat "color" is not white, the white color
is caused by a masquing gene.  Underneath that white overcoat is a colored GSD
that can be sable, b/t, bi, black, etc.
The dilute gene is separate from the white gene, one has nothing to do with the
other.

Please bear in mind, there are two separate factions of the white coated GSD
with opposing goals.  One group wants to remain with the GSD breed.  The other
group is pushing for breed separation.

The WGSDCII is the oldest club supporting the showing and proper breeding of
the white coated GSDs.  The club was initially divided between those who
support and want to remain with the PC and those who are in favor of breed
separation.

Currently, there are three national clubs in the United States for the white
coated GSD.  The WGSDCA and WGSDCII both support the WGSD staying with the GSD
breed.  AWAS (and the WSCC in Canada) are seeking breed separation.  Therefore
the breed standards vary between the two sides.

The breed standard for the WGSDCA and WGSDCII more closely follows the GSDCA's
breed standard.

With this in mind, please remember that Karen C. does not speak for all WGSD
fanciers, only those people who support the separation of the white coated GSD
from the GSD breed.  She can best explain the AWSA standard and goals, while
someone representing the other two clubs can best explain their breed standard
and goals.

http://www.wgsdca.org/
http://www.whitegermanshepherd.org/
http://www.awsaclub.com/
http://www.whiteshepherdclub.ca/

Thanks!!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- grnram415@xxxxxxx wrote:
Ginger,
That is a good question.? How can we come together with a divide that is so
wide?? And, I have a question for the white breeders.? Is white a dilute gene??
Does it cause the same issues as dilutes in other breeds, such as Aussies,
Dal's, Danes, etc?? I believe deafness and epilepsy are the biggies.? I am
naive about the breeding genetics of white GSD's, as many others are, I am
sure.??Karen, can you enlighten us on the breeding practices and genetics and
Standard of the White GSD?? And, what exactly does the White GSD club want from
the PC???Recognition, not a DQ, what???I don't have an issue with whites being
accepted but I want to know the facts.??

Laura Thomas?