[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: K9 Saxon

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:19:33 EDT

Karen,

I followed some links that were referenced and the story is true.   Here are
an article from the BBC news and a web page dedicated to saving  Saxon.
Both contain pictures of Saxon and Officer Townly.  I suspect the  letter
was copied in several places, so Mrs. Townly's signature may have  been
on the original source (where ever that is <G>), but didn't get  copied at
some point.

The total signatures are over 4,000 now - coming from multiple  countries.

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/5211180.stm_
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/5211180.stm)

_http://www.videxgsd.com/sos__save_our_saxon.htm_
(http://www.videxgsd.com/sos__save_our_saxon.htm)

Janice

In a message dated 7/29/2006 12:50:30 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Begging  everyone's pardon, but this forwarded email had
ALL the earmarks of an  urban legend... right down to the
fact that it is being widely distributed  by everyone and
their brother. A huge red flag to me was the fact  that
this supposed officer's wife has neglected to sign her
letter  pleading for help. Didn't seem kosher! If I were
pleading for help, you BET  I'd sign my name!  :/

Snopes.com didn't have anything on this, so  I Googled
"Gwent County Police Department" and came up with  the
following:

http://www.thisisgwent.co.uk/display.var.847806.0.clamour_to_save_police_=
dog_saxon.php

Apparently,  the story seems to be true... to a point.
Unfortunately, we're only hearing  one side of the story,
and at this point, it's second or third-hand info at  that.
According to the story above, "Saxon has been denied a
license on  the grounds that he is unsafe to work with, and
his future is currently  under consideration." It doesn't
seem to me to be a case of them putting  him down simply
because he is being retired. He's being retired  from
service for a reason. Maybe it's a bogus reason (or not),
but we  really don't have enough information to be making
judgments on something  that is happening in another
country with different rules and traditions  from ours.

The above said, I did jot off a quick note to the  Gwent
County Police stating my opinion. However, I will not be
signing  any Internet petitions on this as they are
generally useless. If anyone  decides to write the police
department, BE POLITE!! In many ways, you are  representing
the citizenry of our country to officials in  another.

Karen C.
Email:  kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx