[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just my idea

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:56:29 -0600

Since the question was posed of me, and trying to be informative AND civil AND
not start a war:
How do I know?
I know many of you don’t know me from Adam’s house cat, so, I’ll fess up to
those who don’t know. I used to be a UKC White Shepherd “person”, showing
multiple of my dogs to top ten multiple years, including a top ten All-Breed
and the winningest WS dog in the history of the breed (still stands today).
Needless to say, I know quite a few people, and though I don’t show/breed WS
anymore for years, many have remained my friends.
The first person who imported a post FCI recognition BBS lived in the next town
over from me basically made darned right sure that dog was AKC registered so he
could be bred with the white population. He (the dog) was also UKC registered
as a WS. He has also been bred and produced AKC GSD & UKC WS registered
progeny.
That single action set the precedent for some years, and up until a year or two
ago, that’s just what was done, so the imported stock could be bred with the
local stock, as the white shepherd people thought AKC registration was too
precious to give up to believe in their breed as a stand alone UKC WS (which I
had a problem with actually). Many people today are still doing just that, so
they can breed their imports to their own breeding program’s animals.
There are those people today (being in the recent couple (meaning about 2,
maybe 3) years) who are importing BBS and directly stating their pups they
breed are FORBIDDEN to be registered as a UKC WS, and cannot be registered with
AKC either, and also recommend that nobody registers their whites at ALL with
the UKC. Of course, the memo from the UKC back in September this year didn’t
get around about what happened there with that to the AKC folks.
Because anyone can read club & breeder’s websites-- that for to get one
registration type as a WS, an AKC registration is required (as a GSD with a
white coat) and that registration gets you a UKC WS registration!

And, YEP, so long as there are BBS registered with AKC as GSDs, they will never
get their own breed status….
And, YEP, so long as there are UKC WS registered with AKC as GSDs, they will
never get their own breed status….
because, YEP, so long as the white coat is an AKC DQ for the conformation ring,
the WS will never get their own breed status!

And, my opinion, as people surely want to know that too? While I clearly
admire the white coated GSD, I would NEVER want to cut the dogs’ collective
throat just to have a “breed name” so I would be able to show them in the AKC
conformation ring. I would never want to give up the GENETIC DIVERSITY that is
available to the GSD (regardless of coat color) and BREEDING HEALTHY DOGS just
for the purpose of showing in the breed ring. What’s the good in that? There
are plenty of COLORED GSDs available for me when I want to show in conformation
in AKC. It has been said well before my many: the white shepherd show
population is small to the point of a lack of genetic diversity; the FCI dogs
stem almost 100% from North American exports to there, so all go back to dogs
from here. While I don’t know the COI for the “breed”, I know it’s a rather
high number that I, for one, should like to avoid in my own breeding program!
It has behooved my program that I combined white lines with colored lines-
imagine over 40 years of open pedigrees! That’s hard to get and still have a
GSD fancier call the progeny “good looking dogs” as has pleasantly happened to
me! :) Though I know it may not be a popular opinion/theory, it is my own
way of attempting to preserve the genetic diversity for the future of our
breed, and been quite successful for me throughout my years of breeding them
together. I am grateful to have healthy, happy, and good looking dogs to show
for it.

Jen P & her Pack who couldn’t be a hypocrite over whites in philosophy when I
love my GSDs

On Nov 9, 2015, at 19:26, Theresa-GSD Yesko (Redacted sender "scenecrest.geo"
for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 11/9/15, Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

ONLY a handful of the berger blanc
suisse are NOT AKC registered as GSDs- back in 2007 the
precedent was set for the BBS to be AKC registered as GSDs,
and the majority of them are just that, AKC GSDs. Not to
start a fight, but, how can they be a “different breed”
when they are AKC GSDs?<<<<<

So how do you know this as it is not available through AKC and
many go UKC over AKC to register their White Shepherds that
are Berger Blanc Suisse. UKC grows while the AKC loses
and will continue too as the Berger Blanc Suisse continue to arrive.

White is a DQ in conformation the GSD is not accepted and doubt it
will ever be.

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx
is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original
kind are permitted without prior permission of both the original author AND
of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post. This group and
its administrators are not responsible for the comments or opinions expressed
in any post. POSTS CANNOT BE USED IN A COURT OF LAW.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

is Copyrighted 2015. All material remains the property of the original author