[ SHOWGSD-L ] Just in case you missed this article about the Purina Alliance

  • From: LauraEG@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:10:36 EDT

Following is Lew Bunch's March 2006 article printed in the Review, this
article explains the Purina Alliance Program.  Ya'll send in those  breedings
now,
ya hear?

Presidentâ??s  Message
Purina Alliance  Program
How would you like to be the person responsible for  finding out the cure for
cancer in the German Shepherd Dog?  It actually can happen with your
participation in the Purina Alliance Program for the German Shepherd Dog Club
of
America.
Last month I told you about the National Sponsorship Agreement we  signed
with the Purina Breeder Enthusiast Group, sponsorship value is in excess  of
$25,000 which includes cash donations to pay for all Futurity/Maturity
Trophies,
the Wednesday evening Welcome Dinner, 500 Customized Tote bags to be
distributed to National Exhibitors, and over 500 pounds of Purina Dog Food,
Coolers,
Directorâ??s Chairs, Grooming Bags to be awarded to the National Winners  and
all Junior Handlers.  And that  is just the first step in this wonderful
agreement with Purina.
The Purina Alliance Program is an enhancement of the Futurity  Program which
has been in effect for several years now but I truly do not feel  all of our
members realized just how important this program is for the health of  our
Breed.  Sure, we have all seen  the large checks proudly displayed at the
National
and the Victory Dinners but  do you know what was involved in receiving these
checks?  Didnâ??t think so and now I will explain  the Purina Alliance Program
to you and if anyone has any question, please let me  know because I want
every GSDCA Member to participate and just maybe it will be  your participation
which triggers the Grant to find the cure for  hemangiosarcoma, DM, or LS.
Wouldnâ??t that be wonderful.  Here is how the Purina Alliance is structured:
Laura Gilbert, is GSDCA Coordinator for the Purina Alliance  Program, Lauraâ??s
email address is Purina _Alliance@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Alliance@xxxxxxx) , her
mailing address is 2448 Johnstown Road, Chesapeake, VA  23322 and her phone
number is (757) 421-7854.  Laura  will be answering questions, collecting data,
sending reports to Purina and  everything else required to make this program a
success.
Your participation starts with your nomination of a litter you  have bred but
has not whelped yet.  There is no cost for this nomination but a litter
number will be assigned  and that litter will be entered into the first phase
of
the Purina Alliance  Program.  You could wait until you  know your bitch is in
whelp but the sooner you are entered into this program the  more the GSDCA will
benefit.  Data collected is NOT sold nor shared  with any outside agency,
your privacy is important and totally  respected.  The form that  Laura will
ask
you to complete for this initial nomination is the date the  litter was bred,
Sire and Damâ??s name and Registration Number, Breederâ??s Name,  Address,
City,
State, Zip, Phone, Email Address and Purina ProClub Number.  Now before you
think that you MUST feed  Purina Dog Food to participate in this program, the
answer is that you do  not.  However, If you are a member  of the Purina
ProClub
and if you do feed Purina Dog Food and if you do send in  weight circles, you
can double the amount of payment Purina makes to the GSDCA  IF you have
declared the GSDCA as the Purina Parent Club Partnership (PPCP) on  your
ProClub
Account.
Speaking of your ProClub Account:   How long has it been since you have
updated it?  I bet we have some  members who have not declared the GSDCA as the
PPCP so we are not getting credit  for the weight circles they are submitting.
Take a few minutes, call !-877-776-2582  or go to the web site
_www.purinaproclub.com_ (http://www.purinaproclub.com/)  to update your
information and make
sure  you have identified the GSDCA as your PPCP.  Just for updating your
ProClub Account  information you and will receive 500 Bonus Points credited to
your account, call  or email them today. And of course you may also call this
same number to create  a ProClub Account.
Back to the Purina Alliance Program, the next step in this process  is for
you to contact Laura Gilbert and let her know that your litter has  whelped,
the
number of puppies in the litter and the Futurity Region that you  reside.
You MUST report this to  Laura BEFORE the litter is three months old, doesnâ??t
cost anything, just a phone  call or an email to Laura.  Might as  well go
ahead
and Futurity Nominate your now whelped litter, you will be  supporting the
GSDCA Futurity System and the Purina Alliance Program.  The GSDCA Futurity
Committee any  improvements to the Futurity System including  proposing a
discount
for Futurity  nomination fees if you are a participant in the Purina Alliance
Program but  since that requires Board approval and the next Board Meeting is
not until April  I cannot talk about discounts yet but I bet there will be
something to encourage  your participation.  Remember this  is a Letâ??s
Encourage,
Not Discourage Board.
Now you have completed two of the steps, you have nominated your  litter
after it was bred, you have notified Laura that your litter was whelped,  and
now
it is time to enter a Futurity because we are assuming you have also  Futurity
nominated your litter.  It  doesnâ??t matter which Futurity, just enter one of
them, maybe you will even win  it but I guarantee you will have a good time
with all those other breeders who  are showing off their puppies too.
The final step is winning that AKC Championship on that puppy you  nominated
even before it was born, you have now completed the journey and here  is what
you have generated for the GSDCA.
The Purina Alliance Payout is as follows:
$10.00 for each litter that has been nominated according to the  above steps.
2.00 for each puppy in the nominated litters that are entered in a  Futurity.
25.00 for  each nominated puppy that completes their AKC Championship.
And for those of you that are members of the ProClub, the GSDCA  will receive
an extra 10% redemption payout in addition to the 10% being paid by  the
PPCP.  So actually it is double  the normal payout from Purina while your
ProClub
payout is the same, you still  recveive all the benefits and payouts too.  I
will get to the projection figures in a minute but first I want to add  another
piece of this total package, the PPCP.
The Purina Parent Club Partnership (PPCP) is the weight circle  redemption
program that all of you who are ProClub members have been doing for  years.
You
feed Purina Dog Food,  you clip the weight circles, you send them to Purina
ProClub and you receive  checks for food, merchandise, gift certificates, vet
checks, and other items  relating to our dogs.  However, the  GSDCA receives a
cash payment equal to 10% of the total value ProClub Members  who have
designated the GSDCA as their PPCP.  Anybody who claims affiliation with
German
Shepherd Dogs contributes to this program.  If you are also a participant in
the
Purina Alliance Program, the cash payout from Purina increases to 20%.  It is
that easy, clip and send in those  weight circles and it might be your mailing
that contributes to finding a  breakthrough for a certain health issue,
BECAUSE the funds Purina donates are  paid as follows:
·                    Half of the Amount goes to the  GSDCA to be used for:

o       Canine  Health
o       Rescue
o       Education
o       Other projects that positively  impact the well being of our Breed
The other half of the generated funds are donated to the Canine  Health
Foundation (CHF) and hopefully everyone knows that for every dollar  donated
directly to the CHF the American Kennel Club (AKC) matches that donation  which
means that any amount donated to the CHF automatically doubles.  Here is what
you
contributed by sending  in those Purina Weight Circles in 2005:
$13,207.23 â?? Directly to CHF
$13,207.23 â?? Matched by AKC
$13,207.23 â?? Directly to the GSDCA
$39,621.69 â?? Total Funds generated by redeeming Purina Weight  Circles
Bet you didnâ??t realize those little Weight Circles meant so  much.  This is
totally in addition  to everything redeemed personally by those who are ProClub
members.  The Weight Circles control this whole  Sponsorship and Alliance
Programs, and yes it is up to all of us to make sure we  keep it going and
growing.
But wait, there is more, sorry if you are tired of reading all  this but it
is so important and it is something we all can  participate.
At the January Board meeting when Correy Krickeberg, the Purina  manager who
is responsible for accepting and presenting this wonderful  opportunity for
the GSDCA, showed the Board the slide explaining how we earned  the $8,805.42
from the 2005 Futurity I was surprised that we only showed 31  Futurity
Nominated AKC Champions.  Remember when I said Purina was willing to pay $25
for each
Futurity  Nominated puppy that earned their AKC Championship?  Well here is
the slide that Correy  showed us:
2005 GSDCA Futurity Earnings
*  Litter Nominations  (448)                   $4,480 ($10 per litter
nominated)
*  Futurity Puppies Entered  (764)         $1,528 ($2 per entry)
*  Nominated Champions  (31)  $   775 ($25 per AKC  CH)
*  Futurity Weight Circles  $2,022.42 (2,022,420 lbs x 10%)
*  Total Futurity Payout                        $8,805.42
I looked at the slide and immediately thought there should be more  AKC
Champions and more $25.00 checks.  I said something to Gary who mentioned it to
Kris and Paul, we came up  with 10 or so that probably were not on the list.
Then Correy made the following statement  that Purina would be willing to go
back
to 2002, the year the Futurity Program  started and if there were AKC
Champions that were in the Futurity Program that  had not been reported, they
would
in fact let the GSDCA go back and collect  $25.00 for each one who were in the
Futurity Program and who have finished their  AKC Championship.  So get ready,
 Laura will be compiling a list of all those Champions, if you have finished
a  puppy that was Futurity nominated, they did not even have to been have
shown in  a Futurity, just nominated, then email, write or call Laura and give
her
all the  information, Dogâ??s Name, AKC Number, Futurity Litter Number, Date
Finished,  Ownerâ??s Name, Address, Breeders Name and Address.
At the International Kennel Club in Chicago, Purina announced their
contributions  the  Canine Health Foundation from  all of the Breed Clubs who
are
participating in the PPCP, came to over $400,000  and I think that is
fantastic.
We  have projected the GSDCA could earn in excess of $60,000 in 2006 if we
participate in the PPCP and the Purina Alliance Program at the levels we think
are possible.  Please be a part of  this exciting effort that just may result
in the discovery of the cure for the  disease that will ensure your dog will
live a long and healthy life.
If you have any questions at all about the PPCP or the Purina  Alliance
Program please contact me or Laura, we are ready to answer your  questions.
Letâ??s Encourage, Not Discourge.
Lew