[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just a dog

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:54:44 -0400

So ponder this... Genetics or rearing.. Which is it in most cases?
*********************
I think it's genetic.  All of my dogs are house dogs, but not all have the same
temperament--when I received Jeddie from Sharon when she was a pup, she saw NO
ONE.  Because she threw up in the car, she stayed at home and we have few
visitors.  She's one of the soundest GSDs I have ever seen.  The Kid was sound.
 Ketchy was sound.  I have learned that socialization CAN help a genetically
unsound dog--a sound dog doesn't need it.  (Now, don't get mad--I'm NOT saying
we shouldn't soicalize our dogs!)  My first solid black pup bought way back
when was a spook--she was a house dog and no amount of socialization could
change her attitude which was "I will get you before you get me."  The
Schutzhund club I was in LOVED her--she hung on to the sleeve like death.  I
put a CDX on her--she was ring-trained like MANY are today.  We put her in as
an extra bitch for some breed shows--she never flinched, tucked her tail or any
of the other weird things they can do to show us the spooks they are.  But she
WAS nuts.  Her dam WAS nuts.  Like begets like.  I was young and stupid when I
bought her--I thought that love could cure all.  I am also ashamed to say that
I bred her and her daughter was nuts, too.  Knowing what I do now about
genetics and heredity, I would NEVER own a dog like her.  I believe the
foundation block of our breed is sound temperament:  regal, fearless, highly
intelligent, et al.
So Jess, I think that you cannot escape a poor temperament--it's in the genes.
Penny