[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just a dog

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:04:17 -0400

Your post made me think of the movie Best in Show.? Specifically, the neurotic
Weim couple.? Their dog was just as neurotic.? And, who won?? Bubba and his
hound.??Environment?can sure come into play.? I see it every week in my
obedience classes.? Owners who are not confident have dogs who are?apprehensive
or even over protective, picking up on the owner's unease.? New dog owners?who
are born learners and open-minded, do well and have dogs who are learning with
them.? The confidence builds in both as they progress.? And, then there are the
folks who use training to socialize and don't take it seriously.??Neither do
the dogs, LOL!?
Then again,?I have other stories of good people and bad dogs.? That is based on
genetics.? One story.? Had one Rottie in class who started off great at 4 mos
of age. The owners were awesome and had Rotties before.? They did everything
right including training and being good pack leaders.??During adolescense, the
dog turned on me, my daughter?and then on them.? Since I do more positive
reinforcement than negative in training, there was no reason for him to turn on
me.? They had a child and could not have that.? Upon my recommendation, they
sent the dog back to the breeder who put him down after evaluating him.? A BAD
dog.? Oh, I found them another Rottie breeder with dogs I trust and they now
have a 2 yr old AWESOME dog who loves them and their daughter and is a perfect
gentleman.? Sometimes it is genetics.

Then again,?the same argument can be used on people.? Genetics or environment??
An argument that is always there.? JHMO

Laura??????