[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just a dog

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:57:13 -0500

So I have a question - and it is something we ponder in dals pretty often as
they also have the "phases" they go through, especially teenage girls.. BUT...
The problem is, shouldn't we be breeding for phase free dogs? Dogs who are
sound emotionally throughout their lives?

The biggest issue I have found is that sound dogs who go through phases, then
have owners who make excuses for the dogs acting up. Rather than being smart
and letting the dogs stay home and grow out of this phase, they continually
subject the dog and the dog has it ingrained in their heads that this is how
they should act.

So as a breeder, aren't we better off not having phases? More often then not,
we have bitten the bullet and put nice pups in pet homes because of phases -
now we have very, very little of that in our line of dogs.

I never expect a GSD to be a Golden Retriever, but he should be sound in mind..

JMHO.... Something to make people think..

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of DCA, GSDCA and GTCDC

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your
"fix".