[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just a dog

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

,It is a combination of both. You can take a soft temperament work with it and
make it passable. Will it ever be a hero. NO You can take a really tough dog
and teach it limits. Will this dog ever have a Golden attitude. NO

  The answer to the question is the reason for the breeding. Was the breeder
looking to produce a working dog, or a dog that will win in the show ring.
There is still an opinion that a dog with soft temperament shows better, that
it is easier to get the dog UP with a doubler. Some of these dogs are wired so
tight you could not stand to have them in the house with you. Do they win. sure
they do. All they have to be trained to do is run in a circle and stand for
exam.

  I have people who by dogs from me for competition in agility. Why?? They are
smaller, faster, and love to work. Is this type of dog suitable for the average
pet owner, probably not. These dogs need to work. I like living with this type
of temperament. I did a breeding that I was sure was going to produce a litter
that was over the top in drive 2 Germans with great temperament. What I got was
a litter of males that, for the most part, were pretty reasonable dogs. One was
down right lazy :0)

  When you do a breeding the only thing for sure you know you are going to
produce is puppies.

  What a person can do is continue to support the GSDCA's temperament test
program or the AKC's Canine good Citizen program. Bring dogs that are sound to
the public eye. Insist on soundness in your breeding programs. Sell your pups
on a must train contract.

  Breed a sound dog that you can be proud of.  This is no time in the dog world
for a breeder to be producing dogs that are not sound. We are fighting for our
very right to own and breed our dogs. We have to produce the very best
temperament we can because the AR'ers would not know front reach if they saw it
but they sure as hell can see a spooky dog or a nasty dog when they see it.

  I have seen dogs dam near drugged to the show ring they hated it so bad.
Why?? Do you think the dog cares if it is a Champion or not? Place that dog as
a pet if it is sound in all other ways and find a dog that likes to show.
Better yet take a look at your training program and try to figure out why the
dog feels the way about the show ring. If it is a young immature dog give it
time to grow up, educate it's mind.

  I have always wanted to know why some feel it is a good thing that a dog
finishes before the age of 2. I don't even brother to show a male until it is a
least 3. If it falls part at three it wasn't a good dog at 2 either.

  Terry

Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  So here's some food for thought for everyone..

Where do the bad temperaments come from in the breed? Are the squirrelly dogs
at shows genetically made up this way, or is it how they are raised? Is the bad
rap that GSDs have with people in other breeds due to the fact that there are
so many kennel dogs, lack of socializing, or genetics?

Story: I have two shepherds that have always been indoor/outdoor "dogs"... They
go camping, walking, riding in the car, through the bank teller, etc.. They
both have titles and everywhere I go they get compliments that they don't act
like Shepherds. It seems to me they act like very correct shepherds.. Smart,
confident, willing, trainable and one step a head - much like dalmatians in
many ways (proper dalmatians)

As I told someone, when we added the second GSD, my mom gave me lots of grief
because most of her experience with GSDs were many of the crazy dogs at shows
(wild-eyed kennel dogs or dogs that were so frantic for their doublers). I told
her that should wasn't allowed to make a judgement call like that until she got
to know Pepper and Simmie.. She adores Simmie and Pepper because they are
"dogs". Now she understands why I like the breed.

So ponder this... Genetics or rearing.. Which is it in most cases?

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of DCA, GSDCA and GTCDC
Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.