[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Just Maybe we're doing it wrong

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:03:35 -0400

Sheila,

You are preaching to the choir.? We all know where the problems and numbers
come from.? Think about this, people who feed feral cats feel sorry for them.?
Afterall, they love animals.? These cats are not owned by anyone and continue
to breed.? Yes, you can try catching Momma cat and her babies and get them
fixed.? I did that here a few years ago.? It helped for a couple years, now
they are back.? It is dry and hot here.? I put out water and they eat my own
cat's food.? I got through 8lbs a week for one cat.? He does not eat that much
and he doesn't fight off Momma cat or her kittens.? I don't blame him.? He is
neutered and no threat to adding to the feral cat population.? There are trap
and release programs available but rarely used.? So, who is the real offender,
the person who feeds feral cats because they love animals or the Government,
who has programs available that they don't use??

This is also the problem in areas with high kill rates.? They say they have the
No/low cost spay neuter available.? They just don't use them. They don't
promote them in the low income areas.? There are no educational materials put
out to the folks in these areas.? How do I know this?? I have worked these
areas for 20 years.? They claim they have these?services available but in 20
years, I have seen no efforts in these communities.? I have?not seen these
mobile spay/neuter vans in my areas.? I have seen no flyers or education on why
s/n is a good thing for pets and where when can go?at a No/low cost rate.??

Sheila, the problem?does not come from people like you and me.??The problem
comes from many different areas with no real solution.? Yes, there are laws on
the books for many of the problem issues, like dangerous dogs, but?they aren't
enforced.??A quick experience.? I have worked South Central Los Angeles and the
McArthur Park areas of Los Angeles for almost 20 years.? I have seen the?Pit
Bulls and other?breeds/mixes running loose and causing problems.? Some of my
co-workers have?taken many of these dogs in as their own pets.? What we do see
is a 3 hour response time by AC to respond to a call of a dangerous dog.? And,
if the dog is NOT contained, they will not respond at all.? An injured dog,
forget about it.? We end up taking the dog to a vet, who will then ship the dog
to a shelter.??

Are we doing things wrong?? I think not.? The priorities of AC, ARista's,
Hollywood types and politicians are this.? Elimainate pets and you eliminate
euthanasia and shelter populations.? It's as simple as that.? They don't want
us to own or breed our animals.? They don't care if you don't contribute to the
overpopulation.? They only care that you want to add more puppies/kittens to
the Universe.??

Doing it wrong,?I think not.??

Laura Thomas?

?