[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Junior Showmanship Support!

  • From: Ashley Miller <aemroxs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GStiefferm@xxxxxxx, GSD list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:40:49 -0700 (PDT)

I have to agree. The GSDCA could do more supporting. I really like what the
Collie Club of America does. They have a Top 20 presentation for the top 20
juniors of the year. They give the kids a big ribbion and they get to go solo
in the ring for 2 mins (while someone reads there Bio). I think we need
something like that.
GStiefferm@xxxxxxx wrote:  Hey,

Since we are on the topic of Juniors here I go... LOL = ]

Well, about having shows only being held on Saturday and Sunday! I can't
totally agree with that but I understand where you are coming from! My
school is pretty harsh about missing days. We are allowed 5 excused days and 5
UN-excused days for the year. My parents let me miss days only if my grades are
good and I get my homework from my teachers before we leave on a trip! There
have been a few times that I have stayed home from going to a handlers for a
week or weekend because of my grades! So you can blame that on some parents!
If a junior misses to much school for dog shows. Set rules and work around
things!

Personally I think that the GSDCA and Specialty clubs need to support
juniors more! Last year was the first year that I felt like something was being
done to support junior showmanship. Between Melissa Chavez's great work on
the junior bags (and all who donated), Juniors table at the Victory Dinner
(thanks to brains of the juniors, Lew and the parent club), Juniors
presentation
at the national and a big part to Nancy Godek-McDonald and Susan Godek! I
know that we have the Robert Hamilton Award which is great.... But there is so
much more that can be done. I don't think people realize how much we need to
support our juniors because when all our mentors and such are gone we will be
in their foot steps taking over. I can't tell you how many GSD spec shows I
have went to that did not offer juniors. These clubs need to start offering
juniors, maybe lowering entry price for juniors, offering junior related
activities! I go to the GSDC of St. Louis Club Meetings almost every month, and
am in charge of: raffle, juniors (with my Mom), and I offend help my dad
present an educational program. Get kids involved in your club! Another thought
is maybe in the Review there can be a juniors section with a story each month
and the Statistic of that year. Just a thought!

Juniors having other breeds to show in juniors! I think it is a great
idea to have another breed to show in juniors. I have an English Cocker
"Spencer," Two Aussie's "Marble" and "Boozer," and a Cardi "Gizmo." Its a great
thing to learn about other breeds and how to show them since GSD's are so
different from any other breed! I have shown my ECS and Aussies at all breeds
several times in juniors as well as breed! Its normally only if my to GSD
junior
dogs are in season. Ask around to local handlers you know, or breeders I am
sure there is someone that is willing to let your son or daughter show/CO-own
their dog for juniors!

Elizabeth Stiefferman

Home.

Ashley Miller