[ SHOWGSD-L ] Jumping dogs....

  • From: BAERENTATZE312@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 18:19:16 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/06 6:52:34 AM, uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I don't care how many times I push her down.........bada-bing, there she
> is jumping up on me again.

Hi Barbara,
I have found the best way to deter a dog when they jump on you, preferably
facing you, is don't push them away but grab her front paws and hold on firmly.

 She'll think this is fun until you don't give her paws back to her.   Let
her wiggle and panic a bit and then let her go and praise her for being OFF.
Encourage her to jump up on you again by patting your chest and when she does
take her paws again and hold till she gets upset.   I guarantee you will only
need to do this several times and she'll get the message that her paws on you
don't get returned until you let them go.   Definitely praise her when she's
back
on all fours.   If she forgets, repeat the process as a reminder.
Good luck.
Pat