[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judging "Best in"- My experience

  • From: "chsweetsun" <chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sue Wylie" <Laurelgsd3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marie A. Fedorow" <rthunder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ZYTUT@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 09:33:56 -0400

HI All,
Yesterday I judged an All Breed Match Best Junior, Best Jr. Puppy, Best Sr.
Puppy, and Best Adult in Match.  It was a wonderful experience, YES -I had 36
Herding Group entries!!.   I was there by myself and really enjoyed talking to
the exhibitors...and all the Jr's.  Wow did I have FUN.  The Jr's, of course,
were super.  I did like Lew said and encouraged them and gave them gentle
hints.  One father came up to me after the judging and asked why I didn't put
up his dog.  He told me the dog was a finished champion.  I told him that his
dog, a rough coated collie, was super, but his daughter forgot he had a
rear,and I was judging the Jr. not the dog.  She would stack his front and
never attempt to get the dog to fix his rear.  He was very understanding and
went over and showed her what she was not doing.  I later saw her taking in a
different dog, and she worked on his rear properly.  My best Jr. is a young
girl handling Shelties.  I was impressed.  I told her that she could handle one
of my Shepherds anytime.  She smiled and said she was going to stick with the
smaller breeds for awhile.  Gotta love it.
I did discover something that was quite surprising and would like input from
other Judges of All Breeds.  As I sat there, I would have a Judge from the
Groups come over to the table after their judging assignment, and say, Wow, you
are really going to like the ...whatever they put up... saying things like,
this one is very finishable, that one is top quality...now, Not once did any
exhibitor say anything that I didn't like to hear.  Was it just yesterday, or
is this a common practice from one judge to another?  Were they only saying
that because they wanted me to take a "good look" or trying to influence?

Ended up I followed my guidelines as best as I knew, and put up the dogs that
1) met their standards best, and 2) were "asking" for the Best in Show win.
Best Jr. Puppy, a Bulldog- yes, with a shoulder! Best Sr. puppy a Basset with
tremendous attitude, excellent bone, hard straight back, and fabulous head, and
Best Adult a Boxer that looks like it was fit for Westminster.  Sadly, none of
the Herding Group winners were "Up to Best in Show Par"...including a sheltie
with one testicle, and other Group winners that were ungroomed and/or
Dirty..ugh.

All in All, this was one experience I truely enjoyed.  I would love to do it
again.
Tari Kridler
North Lima, OH
http://members.aol.com/kridlersgsd
Home of 2003 Amer. & Can. GVX Ch. Kridler's Ruby & her father 2 x Sel. Ch.
Kridler's Quno