[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judges comments

  • From: "Helen Franklin" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 15:30:53 -0700

Many of us love our dogs like family.  They are so much more then just four
legs and fur.  Like people, they have their own individual personalities,
behaviors, likes and dislikes.  We create a bond with our dogs based on
great memories and experiences, shared warmth and love.  As we believe our
"human" children are beautiful, so do we believe our "dog" children are
beautiful.  Rose colored glasses, beauty in the eyes of the beholder, quite
often, yes.  This love slanted view of our dogs is especially true of those
in the breed only a short time.  Long term exhibitors usually know why their
dogs don't win on a given day.  Sometimes it's a better animal in front,
sometimes it could have gone either way, sometimes it was performance,
sometimes it was a blind judge, or so we think.  Sometimes there is no
simple explanation but a combination of reasons.

Judging procedure is under the regulations of the AKC and not up to personal
interpretation.  In addition, critiquing in the ring could be embarrassing
to the owners because ringside would hear.  "Sorry, you dog is overweight
and rolling over the loin."  Sorry, your dog has a weak back and that is
serious."  "Sorry, your dog is lacking front reach, drive and follow-thru."
I always talk privately to a handler when a really nice dog is penalized,
but the handler always knows why, even before I speak with him/her.  Asking
questions after the show with the dog present, is a great way to get your
questions answered.  Most judges are both accommodating and encouraging with
new comers.  I like cat shows because I find the judges critique of great
interest, but unless the AKC changes it's procedures, critiques must be done
at a private time.  Helen Franklin