[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judges behavior in the ring

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 20:18:05 GMT

According to "Rules, Policies and Guidelines for Conformation Dog Show Judges:"

"Examine every dog in the same objective, breed-specific manner even if a
poor specimen may clearly be out of the ribbons.
Approach dogs calmly. Examine each with a gentle but
sure touch and no sudden, surprising moves.

A thorough and complete breed-specific examination
does not include excessive touching beyond feeling for
breed-specific characteristics and specific points of reference.
Touch and examine only as much as is necessary
to complete a thorough, breed-specific examination,
but touch no more."

Further stated:

"Excuse any dog that will not stand for examination;
mark the judge’s book “Excused, unable to examine;”
and initial the notation."

I would have been VERY upset if that were my dog.  NO ONE has ANY right to
correct, negatively nor positively, another's dog, unless, of course, there was
a real danger to itself or others and it's handler was incapacitated somehow.
Judges are there to judge, not to train.  If the judge couldn't examine the
dog, he/she had the option of excusing the dog, or, as I have seen many judges
do even with dogs of such poor temperament and/or training (experience) that
they COULDN'T be examined, place them at the end of the line.  It isn't rocket
science!!!

I agree with you, Gina.  This is totally unacceptable behavior in any judge.
But, some judges believe that they are more equal than others!!!  :-)  :-)

Paula, 261 days and counting