[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judges?/ Re: AKC facts compared to our National

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 23:00:27 -0500

On Sep 20, 2013, at 22:30, "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Jen;
> Have you ever been to one of our Nationals??   If not...you need to go to one.
My post must not have come through where I mentioned "going to St. Louis twice
next year? (Of course once for Futurities next for Nationals). I did spectate
one over 30 years ago, so no, not a modern nationals. Next year :)

> Usually I'm saying  ......" It's not complicated"....... <G>
> But our National is a little more complicated than just an arena big enough
> to hold the number of dogs entered.   It really is.
I know having hosted a 10 ring circus for the national club. It's many many
many hours of hard work:  entering & rechecking registrations  on judges'
books, ordering rosettes, hiring judges, blah blah blah. All for free or maybe
for a free weekend entry for a dog at best luck.
> Don't even think about pleasing the Conformation people...talk to the
> Obedience
> people  ( they don't like to have Obedience on grass )
While I don't mind showing outside (on any surface) for obedience & rally, I do
know many people don't like to do so out of fear their dog might eliminate in
the ring. Duh it happens indoors too somehow...
>  IN a building.
> Talk to the Herding people about getting enough reasonably local good sheep
> in
> for the Herding Trials.....
ya it does help when club members have the sheep/ducks available to rent to the
club I suppose, doesn't it?
> THEN talk to the Handlers bringing in a Van FULL of
> top show dogs.
> They need stalls for grooming and keeping the dogs....Your house would have
> more
> than a 'brown out' with all the cords it takes for bathing and grooming a few
> hundred dogs.
Fairgrounds typically offer 30amps of service for camping, and do you know how
cattle & horse people groom their animals?  Their dryers put ours to shame... ;)
>   <G >
> Hotels should be close by as our days start at 8 a.m.  and last until around
> 7:00 pm...and that is just at the SHOW at the site....then exhausted we go to
> feed and care for dogs...find  food and fall in bed for the next day......and
> our days start at 5 or 6 to care for dogs.....till about midnight.
It's surprising how many fairgrounds meet the needed criteria of hotels,
grounds, being rural enough for stock to be nearby yet close enough to
"somewhere" for ppl to fly in and not still drive hours to the site, etc.
hosting a national at a residence would be a whole different ball of wax than a
regional area show!  550 amps of service wouldn't be enough!

> I like to camp.........but for a National?   As Kathy says..."kill me now".
> <G>
I feel ya, just I'm more wash & wear so to camp at any show I possibly can is a
convenience for me. Again, many if not most aren't quite like that!

> Regarding your comment about never "flying a dog in cargo" on another post??
>
> GOOD LUCK with explaining that to the airlines??   Half of them won't even
> TAKE
> a dog on flight anymore.    Again....you need to try to get to a National.
> IF you live in S. Calif. and the National is in Pa.  the choices narrow
> somewhat   <G>
I'd still drive it- I'm a driving fool making WI to GA nonstop but for fuel &
potty breaks. I know that's a rarity in most people. With today's gas prices I
probably wouldn't make the trek fully across country myself however!

Jen P & the Pack dancing to a different beat much of the time ;)