[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judge not lest ye be judged

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 11:20:59 EDT

janbraeloch@xxxxxxx writes:

I know  that I have been to shows where the judge/breeder ran around the
ring doubling  his dog or dogs. Oddly enough, he won! I don't mind if the dog
is superior and  wins, but the flagrant broadcasting of his ownership takes
the color from the  rose. rosette.

This is always an interesting point. I remember years ago when someone
asked Joan Fox if being on the board helped her win under the other judges who
were on the board?  She replied; if anything it made it harder to  win.

I experienced that when I was on the board. We argued so often, or
disagreed so much that I often felt that I would be better off not showing
under
someone who was on the board with me. I also had a distinct feeling that at
times I was at a disadvantage showing under a judge who I had just had a
spirited discussion with, and left with a bad taste.

I remember years ago, asking Jerry Graham if he minded if I showed under
him in Reno. He asked why would I even ask?  I told him he used to handle
for us, and we had been friends for many years.  He replied that if his
friends didn't show under him, his enemies sure wouldn't.  I thought that  was
good response.

Over the years I have not felt being a judge was any help at all in winning
 in the ring. It seems to me more of a distraction than an advantage. But
then  again, I seldom find dishonesty in judging. I do know, however, what
others  want, and try to bring that to them.

Just as a side point, the bitch I showed under Jerry Graham was  Destiny.
I don't remember what he did with her.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together