[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Judge Withholds ALL Ribbons on Dogs Side

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 14:03:49 -0500

Great post Ruth.? And so true.? I showed/bred Labs for years.? Knew that
breed.? Rescued a GSD and fell in love with the breed.? Rescued another and
then got a purebred.? What did I know of German vs American lines in the show
ring?? I entered my young German girl in a show.? She decided to limp and get
excused.? I had two women come up to me later.? One was very blunt and said,
"When you're ready for a REAL show dog, let me know."? She was right, but I was
hurt and offended.? The second woman explained to me the diffenerence between
German/American lines, what was currently showing and winning and?gave me her
card.? I did get a bitch from her later.? The bitch was not a Star but loved to
show and gave me a TON of experience and knowledge.? Some things have changed
since then, especially with more German/American crosses that are so
competitive.? But, she was a good start for me.? I respect?that someone had the
guts to tell me the truth?AND explain why my girl wasn't a conten
 der.? The presentation is what made the difference to me.??One was too blunt,
the other offered an explaination.??
My German girl turned out to be the 2004 Hero Dog, Good Will Ambassador.? She
is from working lines, another thing?where I was clueless, and?is part of my
breeding program.??I went a different direction with her and am better for it.??

How does this relate to withholding ribbons???If we had not been excused for
the limping and the Judge had withheld the ribbon instead, he would've still
been right.??That would've hurt as well, but he would've been well within his
right and honest in his evaluation of my girl.? If a respected Judge withholds
ribbons, it is for a good reason.? They don't do it lightly and then it is up
to the owner to?evaluate what they are showing. JMHO

Laura

P.S.? MY last post as I am?setting No Mail to go to the Nationals <VBG>?????