[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Joan Ford: A great lady. We miss you already.

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gail Sprock" <gsprock@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:34:44 -0500

Gail, thanks for sharing the excerpt from the interview with Fran and Joan.
We first met Joan and Fran when we bred Bull's dam to Jesse. At the time,
Fran was still re cooperating from his accident, so we didn't get to spend
much time visiting. Nonetheless, Joan took the time to introduce us to
Pete, Iggy and of course Jesse. After that, we talked some and every
opportunity I had I would pick her brain. What Gail printed below is
exactly what I learned from Joan, you know when the dogs you have a "ok"
you know when you can do better. Their standard bar was always set high.
Occasionally we had dinner with them at shows, Joan loved Steve and always
threatened to take him home with her, I think her exact words were "What I
wouldn't give if I were 40 years younger!!LOL! She fussed at us for not
letting Steve show most of our dogs, and she praised us for being "young"
and doing well. I can't tell you how much it meant when we received a very
unique lithograph type card from them congratulating us on Bull's GV, I
still have it. Joan was a fierce competitor, a straight shooter and had the
desire and drive to succeed, I think it was those very qualities that
sustained her through her illness and allowed her defy the odds of her
disease. Steve and I will miss her. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

After
> we discovered that she was almost toothless, plus the fact that you
couldn't
> catch her with a net, we called the breeder. The dog went back to
Pittsburgh
> and we got our money back.
>
> That bitch could have been our foundation bitch! But instead our
foundation
> bitch was Elsa vom Grunes Tahl, who we leased from Ollie Conti. We showed
> her for a while, had her when we moved out here and had a litter out of
her
> by Richter von Leibestraum. . We were hoping to get something much like
Elsa