[ SHOWGSD-L ] Jasper, Alabama ... relax

  • From: Hope Stormy <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 22:07:02 -0700

Not to be forwarded, thank you
Just to keep everyone updated on the situation in Jasper, Alabama:

I received the agenda for next Tuesday's city council meeting, and the
proposed vicious dog ordinance targeting 3 breeds of dogs (which we
were told would be presented on September 6) was not an agenda item.
I called city hall and spoke with one of the clerks.  At last week's
work session, the committee presented their breed specific
ordinance,and the council rejected it.  Moreover, I was advised that
the council told the committee from the get-go that the council as a
whole had no intention of passing any ordinance that regulates the
ownership of specific breeds of dogs.

The committee was instructed to go back to the drawing board and craft
a vicious dog ordinance that DOES NOT make reference to specific
breeds of dogs.

I will continue to keep an eye on the situation in Jasper, but
considering two city council members are pit bull owners and the
majority of the council is against BSL, I think you can drop this one
off your radar until further notice.