[ SHOWGSD-L ] Jane's driving

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:30:03 -0400

    Jane's tale of her trips around the country reminded me of a night
in England...a friend and I were driving around, trying to follow the
directions to the B&B where we
were staying.........well...the farmer's wife had said "as you come down
the road you are on now you will come to a wide spot where 4 other roads
join up.  Go straight across and up the hill and we are at the top."
       Yeah, right.  Well...we went straight across and up the hill, on
what felt like a wide path thru the mud...it was definitely not a road.
Almost at the top, the path got a little
wider and we could make out the shape of a building off to our right (My
side, since I was driving)...pulled in to what turned out to be a
barnyard...about a dozen Border Collies and mutts came bounding out
barking their heads off...lights came on in the house and we saw a man
in the window with a big gun...so we left."
    Figured there was a way to go yet before we got to the top...so
continued climbing up, up, up...until the path leveled off.  We were in
grass that was higher than the roof
of our rental car...and no more path.  Crossing our fingers and praying,
we got turned around and decided we'd taken the wrong road...so we'd go
back down to the place where
the 5 roads came together.
       Got to tell you...no lights at all except from our car...and
pitch black it was...we were slipping and sliding all the way, and my
friend Alexa was praying out loud by now,
altho I couldn't understand why, since SHE was on the safe side, while
I, the driver, was on the side that seemed to just sheer off into
nothingness...............  I really do mean we
were slipping like mad........
    We finally got back down to the same phone box where we'd called the
farmer who had the B&B, and called again.  It was past midnite now...and
the farmer sent his wife
to get us.
       Yes, we'd taken the wrong road.  The poor lady laughed at us in a
rather bewildered road...but we had a cuppa and went to sleep in our
rooms.  In the morning, we went down to breakfast and discovered that
all the neighboring farmers and their wives had been invited to come and
meet the crazy Americans............the LUCKY Americans, as it turned out.

    We'd been up and down a cow path that no car had ever driven on
before...no wonder we were sliding all over the place...the path was
covered in cow flops.......and in the warm
summer nite, they were very soft and slippery.............    The place
at the top with the very tall grass was a part of the
moors............not a good place to be in the middle of
the nite!
       Some of you, I know, can very well picture what it was
like...driving up and down a very steep and narrow path that was full of
flops.........in the pitch dark ------

I don't think I'll ever drive anywhere with Jane, either!
Peggy