[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ivomex

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx" <Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:51:40 -0500

Hi!
Firstly, what percentage is your mixture?  ( the cattle is 1%; swine is 0.26%
or .36% I can't remember offhand). That will affect your dosage rates.
Having a "TB" syringe or an insulin needle is the best for drawing and properly
dosing.... GSDs are one of the many (mostly herding) breeds that  have the MDR1
mutated gene; I'm sure many of y'all have heard about herding breed dogs who
have become ill (or unfortunately died) from ivermectin toxicity. (Amongst
other drugs but ivermectin is the most popularly used and so many reactions are
from it.)
I have been using the 1% for many years- the dosages quoted to me back then
were insanely large!  To think of it, typical HW preventive pills/chewables for
51-100# have 272mcg (that's micrograms not milligrams) of ivermectin in them.
Ivomec 1% has 10mg (aka 10000 mcg!) in it.
So- 0.1mL= 1000mcg!  (In the 1% preparation)
I only give my dogs 0.04-0.05mL total each month and have never had heartworms
in any dog I have ever owned. The 0.05 dosage= 500mcg of ivermectin, almost
twice the dosage good for a 100# dog when given as Heartgard...
I have pitched many partial 50mL bottles of Ivomec as they get to be
long-expired well before I can get through a bottle... Considering there's 1000
doses per bottle for our GSDs.... But even with the "waste", it's still far
cheaper to use :)
If you keep yours in the fridge (I think in my feeble mind that it is safe to
use after expiration that way), I let mine warm to room temperature; drawing it
up cold through a 25-30ga needle is quite the task!  I like using the "TB"
needle/syringes as they have detachable needles so I can just pop the syringe
in their mouth sans needle after drawing, and TB syringes are 1mL and marked to
by 0.01mL increments. So, IOW, it's hardly a drop total dosage.
My next bottle I buy will be the swine formula most likely, as it's easier to
get an accurate dosage being only about 1/4 as strong (0.27% vs 1%) as the
cattle formula and is far easier to dose smaller & younger dogs that way- one
can't really draw less than 0.01mL. HeeHee
You can read about ivermectin toxicity and the MDR1 gene defect here:
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/
Oh, and Ivermectin is also an excellent treatment applied topically for the
treatment of both demodectic and sarcoptic mange mites, as well as ear mites in
dogs, and scaly leg in chickens too, as it kills all external mites extremely
well, and is the preferred treatment by many.
HTH!

Jen P & the Pack reminding Mima that heartworm preventatives work on the worms
received the previous month, and has around 3-4 weeks of residual activity so
your dogs stay somewhat protected throughout the month and kill the previous
month's accumulation of worms.  When we lived in southern GA, my dogs were
about the only ones in the neighborhood who were NOT HW+, as mine stayed on it
year-round

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit

http://showgsd.org/mail.html