[ SHOWGSD-L ] I've been thiniking about "coats." And then there are whites.

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "The List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:03:06 -0400

I remember years ago when a fellow breeder sent a sable coat to us for
breeding.  I asked her if I could practice my grooming skills on her, as she
was, oh SO attractive:  excellent shoulder, good rear, nice tight feet,
expressive face and fantastic temperament—and could she move.  So I
practiced, with my thinning shears.  After school every day for 4-5 days, I
worked on her.  I remember thinking that her tail would be the hardest and it
was.  When I finished, she did not look like a coat.  I must have been a better
groomer than I thought!  I met up with her breeder at a specialty show to
return her and got there first.  The handlers and exhibitors swooned—who is
she, is she entered and she is gorgeous!  She was an Alvin daughter, no (I
don’t cheat) and she is a coat.  They didn’t want to believe THAT.  Getting
to the point, there are already classes for coats at every dog show in the
nation (REGULAR classes) and as we all know, there are trimmed and ranked coat
champions.  Why bother?  Being coated is a fault, like having a missing
tooth—they can still be shown.  Why have a special class at the National for
a type of shepherd that can already be shown in ANY regular class?  I don’t
get it.  (However, I DO understand about whites—they were allowed in
conformation classes up until the 50s <not sure about a date; I’m sure
someone knows.>  Either change the standard or eliminate these ODD National
classes.  (I say this even though I LOVE quite a few white GSDs.)  The Alvin
daughter?  She was a good producer who was never shown.  I did not groom her to
cheat.  I groomed her to practice grooming—but what a dog!
Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever