[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I've Fenced In My Yard... Now Help!

  • From: "Diane Holliday" <dlholliday@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:56 -0700

There is a product I prefer over most of the spray on chemicals that retard
weeds, that I think is safer for both the dogs, and the other animals that
may be in the yard.

It is a black mesh fabric called weed block that is sold at most Home Depot
garden departments and most nurseries. It comes in widths of varying sizes.
The most popular width is 3 feet wide, or four feet wide. It comes in
varying lengths, usually starting at 50 feet. The three foot width currently
costs just $15.97 here in Scottsdale, AZ, and the four foot width is $21.97
at Home Depot.

You put the mesh fabric down, and then cover it with whatever you want. Here
we use paver bricks or rock, but when I lived in the Midwest, we used wood
chips. You know the look you are striving for, and what level of safety for
your dogs you feel comfortable with.

Weeds and grass can't grow then. We used it successfully in front of a
fence, and under our sandy beach.  Of course if you put a lot of topsoil on
top of it, you could still grow some weeds and grass. But if it is under
pavers or rock, you should not grow anything.

I have heard that sometimes naughty young dogs might try to dig up some of
this, but I did not personally ever have that problem. You know your dogs. I
am sure that if your dog tends to eat fabric, this would not be a good
choice. But for me, I like it better than continually reapplying chemicals,
especially if it is an area where my dogs will be walking.

I am just not a big fan of spraying chemicals. I'd rather spend more up
front, and then not have to deal with it year after year.

Diane Holliday
Scottsdale, AZ