[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: It's tough to get to a national these days...

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 07:43:00 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question of all of the National goes. If your significant other is not
a dog person (you managed to catch a sane one) what do you do with them at
national time? I would love for hubby to drive me to the national but what do I
do with him once he is there :o)

  Terry who i married to a non dog person
Laurie Pruett <pruett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I did some calculations:

From central Maine to:

Beaumont, TX - 1,928 miles each way (round trip 64 hours driving, $1,100 in gas)

Fort Collins, CO - 2, 114 miles each way (round trip 70 hours driving, $1,207
in gas)

Perry, Georgia - 1,314 miles each way (round trip 44 hours driving, $750 in gas)

Springfield, OH - 979 miles each way (round trip 33 hours driving, $560 in gas)

Salt Lake City - 2,528 miles each way (round trip 84 hours driving, $1,444 in
gas)

Ariel and I are driving to Beaumont because I found it impossible to fly dogs
in 500 crates from the northeast. Well, I shouldn't say impossible because I
did find a Northwest flight that could take a 500 crate but they charge $600
round trip for the dog. By the time I paid for two tickets and a couple of
dogs, I was much better off driving (and could take more than two dogs). It
will take us 6 days to drive round trip. We're saving vacation time from work
to be able to do that.

Most of the flights I found to Beaumont were MD80's which cannot accommodate a
500 crate. I guess that's ok if our national is only for our bitches.

I think it will be nearly impossible to fly with dogs in 500 crates in the
future.

We need to rotate our national in order to accommodate the membership who is
not in a position to take as much time as it takes me to drive to a national.
We shouldn't be rotating our national on the "edges" of our country, though,
IMO. It's just too far for those of us on the opposite "edge".

JMO...

Laurie Pruett