[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: It's dangerous not to know was swimmers

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 08:16:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2007 11:56:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:
As with  any problem we have in our dogs that we can fix such as swimmers
there is always the possibility that it can get away from us not because  we
don't care but because we don't know for sure why it happens.

I'll go with the multiple causes theory.  I can't discount  heredity.  The
swimmers I have seen haven't been mine, but they have been  big, fat, lazy
puppies who just never left the dairy bar and mom had so much  milk in every
case
that they just laid flat and were gluttons.  Common  sense tells my that's more
likely in small-ish litters when babies don't have to  work fighting siblings
to stay on a nipple.  I can't discount what is  used on the floor for a
whelping box.  If it's hard for puppies to get  around, I can get my mind
around
some not working too hard at it especially the  lazy, fat ones.  I can get my
mind around a puppy being positioned  oddly in the womb too.  Once in a while a
puppy has an oddly shaped head  that gets better in the first day or two, why
not ribs somewhat flat?   Especially if it was a large litter, a tough
delivery or momma was particular  small?  It makes sense to me also that a
puppy
failing to thrive right  after birth might lay too long on its chest,
flattening
soft ribs.

If we wanted to see with any kind of clarity what role heredity played in
all of this, we'd have to breed those that we knew or suspected were either
born
 with it or had a litter mate and were suspected carriers, (keeping the other
 factors constant to the extent its possible to do so), and I know I don't
have  the stomach for that.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds