[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: It's a matter of choice

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:02:17 -0400

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:52:20 -0400, Peggy
<pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> forwarded the following:

>> Kim Blutreich (Piedmont Kennel Club) wrote:
>>=20
>> However, the AKC wants to be more than that. It wants
>> to distinguish itself from the other registries - and the only
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not true!!!

What I get from reading the Gazette, the Delegate and
Board meeting minutes and from the recent things AKC has
done is this: AKC wants to ELIMINATE all other registries
(i.e., the competition) in any way it can, thus protecting
and growing its own market share. There's nothing really
wrong with this of course. But tell it like it is.
Eliminating one's own competition is a bit different from
"distinguishing" oneself from same.

>> way to ever accomplish this is to convince the public that an
>> AKC registration is something more than a piece of paper.=20
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, this is something a bit new and I wonder if it goes
to this idea of "distinguishing" itself (by crushing the
competition). Back in the day -- like, up to only a few
short years ago -- AKC made a POINT of telling everyone
that "AKC registration is not to be construed as any sort
of 'Good Housekeeping' stamp of quality" because "AKC is
only a registry, blah blah blah." I think this statement
was even prominently displayed on the web site.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

I'm no genius, but I REALLY like conspiracy theories. So
naturally, I think I have this whole PetLand Discount
thing figured out. I think this is the beginning of that
"tiered registration" system AKC was talking about a few
years ago. I think AKC will be implementing this plan very
soon. That way, they can continue courting the "high
volume" breeders and pet stores in peace, while placating
the responsible breeders and putting the competing
registries out of business... all at the same time.
Win/Win for AKC!  YMMV...

Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx