[ SHOWGSD-L ] It's January. Do you know where your legislature is?

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 08:23:16 EST

~~permission to forward to all appropriate lists ~~
At the end of  this post are samples of the bills being sponsored in the
Virginia legislature  this year.  You should not believe for a minute that this
kind of bill is  so stupid that it could never pass.

Our legislature merrily passed a  bill four years ago that allowed animal
control to walk into any rescuer's home  at any time to inspect, required
private
rescuers to have regular "business  hours" and be open to the public, and
post their names and street addresses in  every pound and shelter in the state.

And that wasn't the half of SB  260.  The reason it passed was that no one in
rescue knew about it and the  Humane Society of the United States and the
humane societies and pounds in  Virginia were pushing it.

Rescuers discovered it at the last  minute -- too late to prevent its passage
-- and raised so much hell that the  implementation was postponed and it was
amended the following year.  If  they hadn't, rescue in Virginia would be
history.  As it is, even with the  amendment, many rescues will not operate in
Virginia because of the vagueness of  the law and the paperwork required.

The moral of the story is that we all  need to WATCH what government in our
states is doing.  If you are not on  your state's pet-law list, you should get
on it.   http://www.pet-law.com/statelists.html
If there is not one in your state,  start one.  (We can help) No, it's not
fun and it would be nice to just  leave it to "people who know about that
stuff."  But none of us knows about  that stuff till it comes along and bops us
in
the head.

Believe  me, when SB260 passed in Virginia, Walt and I didn't know who our
senator and  delegate were, didn't have more than a general idea of how state
laws were  passed, and really believed that if a law was unconstitutional or
just plain  dumb, that someone would realize it and prevent it from becoming
law.

What we learned was that if all bills have advocates pushing for them to
pass.  In the case of animal laws, they are nearly all animal rights
organizations.  (Ours are the Virginia Voters for Animal Welfare and the
Virginia
Federation of Humane Societies)  If no one opposes the bill  loudly, it *will*
pass.
 The legislators don't know enough about the issues  they vote on to make
smart decisions -- they rely on the "experts" who bring  them proposals for
bills.

If you want to continue to breed and show dogs,  your days of ignoring the
legislature are over.

Here are highlights of  just a few of the bills we are fighting in Virginia
this year.  These are  just the first ones filed.  We expect about a dozen
more.

HB  278 -- Allows the city of Newport News to impose a license tax of $35 on
each  dog or cat that isn't spayed/neutered.

HB 339 -- Requires people to get  dog/cat licenses from veterinarians when
vets give rabies vaccinations.   Requires veterinarians to sell licenses and
forward the money and paperwork to  the county treasurer quarterly.  Allows a
dog
found without a license to be  charged an additional impound fee of $5/day
and be spayed/neutered.

HB 386 -- Adds "without provocation, chased, confronted, or   approached a
person in a threatening or aggressive manner such that a reasonable  person
would be fearful of an attack" to the definition of a dangerous dog --  this is
the usual 'potentially dangerous dog' definition. Also allows any animal
control officer to label a dog as dangerous.  (No magistrate, no judge, no
oversight of the ACO)

SB 55 -- Requires breeders to purchase  licenses.  License is required for
anyone advertising a litter.   Someone who buys a puppy and does not get a
license number from the breeder is  subject to a fine of $150.  (Clever -- uses
your own puppy buyers to police  you)  Requires dogs/cats from breeders,
rescuers, shelters, breeders,  dealers, or pet stores to be sterilized and
microchipped. Hobby breeders would  be allowed to purchase a dog/cat and breed
one litter
from it before sterilizing  it.

Remember -- without opposition, these bills would all pass. Be  sure you find
out what's going on in your state legislature.  And if you're  from Virginia,
send a blank email to va-pet-law-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   We need you.

Sharyn

Timbreblue Whippets ~  www.timbreblue.com
Sharyn & Walt Hutchens

Ginger Cleary,  Rome, GA
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to  their level, then beat you
with experience...

_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)