[ SHOWGSD-L ] It should be about more than just winning

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 07:52:10 -0800 (PST)

   That's easy for ME to say since I don't do any winning. But if winning were
the only thing, others and myself would have been long gone.  And for some who
needed to win and didn't they ARE gone. Last week I enjoyed all the post about
bitchy heads on males at the national and all the other things "incorrect"
about some of our show dogs. I read all the posts about pedigrees and breeding
and what you should and shouldn't do. I thought for a second "Gee, maybe I'll
keep my imperfect dog home and wait until I get a "perfect" one...then the
logical side of my brain kicked in and reminded me that the standard is a MYTH,
or in better words a goal that can not be obtained. Breeding and showing
conformation German Shepherd Dogs is NOT relevant to what ails our society as
we know it. It's just one of millions of activities that Humans do to compete
with and interact with each other. During a field trip a few weeks ago one of
my student's parents asked me
 why I continued to wear my Raider hat and support a team the is clearly
dysfunctional and hasn't had a winning record in years...I told him that being
a Raider fan for 41 years is part of who I am...I will ALWAYS be a RAIDER
FAN.......German Shepherds are part of who we are...winning is NOT the most
important thing....well at least for me it isn't...Today the Denver
Broncos will kick our butts....lol....but life is STILL good....Ed Hill