[ SHOWGSD-L ] It isn't anything to be ashamed of

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:48:43 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/11/13 7:40:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

As I  have always said....the Panda or Piebald GSD is
nothing "new" but what is  hidden there if we don't
continue to be vigilant and  eliminate.

It is time to admit, it is nothing but prejudice.

Now, prejudice is not a bad thing. We decide what we want,  what we don't
want, and then go for it.

We (or most of us) have decided we don't like certain colors.  We, (or some
of us) for years tried to make excuses by saying Whites in  shepherds were
inferior.  They died early, had health problems, or didn't  have good
temperament.

Let's get away from those false ideas and just admit, we don't  like the
looks. We don't like the looks of a Panda shepherd, we don't like the  looks
of a Piebald shepherd.  There is nothing wrong with having a choice  and
sticking to it.

I wonder if what I have been told about Blues and Livers is  true, that
there are health related problems?  But, I don't need to know  the answers to
that. I don't like the look.  Although, I have to admit, I  have seen blue
sables, and I sort of like that look.  But, I insist on the  right to be
prejudiced.

I like the looks of a white shepherd. OK, that is my  opinion.  I think
some I have seen are noble looking, striking, strong and  powerful looking.
They seem to me something other than what I want in a  German shepherd,
however, but I am starting to even like the red and blacks that  the Germans
seem
to have.

Now we need to admit we have our learned prejudices as to what  we want in
a German shepherd. Let's drop the pretense that the Whites are  faulty, are
less than the Black and Tans, or have something wrong with them.

We just don't like them.

 If you don't admit that, then there is no rational  reason to keep them as
a disqualifying fault.

There is nothing wrong with that.

And, nothing says we have to be rational.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together