[ SHOWGSD-L ] It Was Amamzing!

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 15:53:16 EST

It was a dark and stormy day.  Got up early to feed all the furkids then set
off for the hour drive to herding.  Ok, that's not really far in SoCal but
seems far when it's raining.
We got to the ranch and the weather was clear but cold.  A whopping 38
degrees.  I was not dressed for this.  Good thing I'm from the Midwest.

But, I digress.  The first trainer refused to work with MY Boss.  He said he
didn't know how to work GSD's, sigh.....  We waited for Janna to finish her
advanced class, then we got our turn.  This was good since we then got Janna
for
ourselves.  Janna was a herding judge at the 2004 Nationals.  I had tried to
work with her before but never got the chance.  Anyway, she does know how
GSD's work.

Boss got in with the sheepies and that was all she wrote.  He was awesome.
He went in there like he knew what he was doing and he did.  He picked up the
sheep and started working them immediately.  My lazy, Momma's boy had to be
pulled out of there to rest.  His second run was even better.  He corrected
himself if he got too far inside the sheep.  If one escaped, he acknowledged it
but
stayed with the herd, brought them around and picked up the straggler.  He
responded to my commands, immediately, and had no issues working away from me.
Between his runs, he was watching an advanced dog in the big ring with lots of
sheep.  He started barking, whining and wanting to get in there.  I was blown
away and so proud of him.  Janna's comment about his ability just made my
day.  She said "He's not only a beautiful animal, he can work."  She asked me
bring him back for photos of him working on Tues morning.  Is that cool or
what?  Who says these American show line dogs can't work?

And thank you to all the responded about To feed or not to feed.  I gave him
half his breakfast and he was just fine.  Energy but not too full a tummy :-)

Laura Thomas  walking on air :-)
http://www.treasureranchgsds.com/